PLA curls very badly upon extruding

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Fusion916

PLA curls very badly upon extruding

Post by Fusion916 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:46 am

I have been using my M2 for about 6-8 months problem free and have gone through about 6 filament reels so far. The latest reel for some reason clogged the nozzle after the 2nd print (first print went just fine). I am using the V4 hotend BTW.

It took muliple tries but I got the hot end clean after soaking it in paint thinner overnight and trying to clean out the nozzle hole with a small pair of tweezers, however now when I extrude the melted PLA comes out at a angle and curls up very badly, to the point where I basically cant print at the nozzle just cakes. Before the recent clog, the extruder used to curl up a little at the beginning of a print (for about 2-3 seconds) then it would extrude perfectly striaght afterwards for the rest of the print. Now it just continuously curls up no matter how long I extrude. Do I need try to reclean the nozzle again or have I damaged the hotend somehow? Do I need to just buy a replacement hotend or is there some kind of adjustment I can do?

thunderbt3

Re: PLA curls very badly upon extruding

Post by thunderbt3 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:05 pm

I don't think PLA is affected by paint thinner. Disassemble the hot end and take a propane torch to the nozzle. I usually heat mine to a dull red glow. It should reduce anything clogging the nozzle to ashes :D

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:47 pm

trying to clean out the nozzle hole with a small pair of tweezers
Generally not a good idea to do that.....it's certainly possible to damage the hole on the nozzle, but it's more likely carbon is still stuck to the nozzle inside and partially blocking it.

All you need is the replacement nozzle (not the whole hotend) and since those are PDC, (pretty damn cheap), everyone should keep a couple on hand for when things like this happen.

Either torch it (only way to get the carbon completely out), do several cold pulls (cleans enough out to get flow re-established), or buy a couple of spare nozzles and switch to one of those while you clean that one out.

http://www.makergear.com/products/m2-upgrades

(Be very careful not to try to remove the nozzle while the V4 hotend is on the printer though.....take the hotend off to remove the nozzle.)

Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks guys, I went ahead and just ordered 2 extra nozzles just incase but I'll try to blowtorch the nozzle to see if I can clear some blockage is there there.

Paint thinner does seem to do something to pla however since after I soak it, it does seem to come lose. Maybe I didnt get everything though and the blowtorch will take care of the rest. I'll update later today.

Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:00 am

So I torched the nozzle and got it very clean, however I still have the same result with the extruded PLA immediately curling into a ball and caking up the nozzle. It looks like I might have damaged the nozzle? I did however tweak the extruder temperature, bed temperature, and z height JUST ENOUGH to get it to print right, barely. There is still some kind of issue with the extrusion and I guess I will see when the new nozzle comes, but for now at least I can (barely) print.

Also, is there a link to get a replacement glass for the bed? Mine is really warn out and I want a few extras just in case.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:25 am

Yeah, it's in the dropdown on the main M2 order page.

http://www.makergear.com/products/m-series-3d-printers

Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:45 pm

New nozzle arrived and I have it installed. PLA now extrudes straight as an arrow so yes apparently I did damage the nozzle. Lesson learned :D

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Well great! Glad it's working now! :D