where to replace broken glass plate?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Brit

where to replace broken glass plate?

Post by Brit » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:56 pm

Can I simply buy any plate glass at a glass shop to replace a broken glass plate? My piece stuck to the plate glass a bit too well. I'm in Berlin. I don't speak German and I am under the gun to complete prints next week.

Jules

Re: where to replace broken glass plate?

Post by Jules » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:04 pm

No, you don't want to use plain glass. Borosilicate is Pyrex. :(

Brit

Post by Brit » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:41 am

Do you know if glaziers sell flat pieces of Borosilicate glass, cut to size? (I'll call Monday and see if any speak english AND sell Borosilicate glass.) Otherwise I need to send it from Makergear using expensive 2-3 day international Fedex.

Brit

Post by Brit » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:02 pm

Is there any other material I can use in a pinch for the plate that night be easier to obtain in Germany until the Makergear glass arrives?

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Well, the problem is finding the other materials in time as well.

A cast aluminum plate (MIC6) will work, but you have to have it cut to size and re-set the Z-stop.
Same for a Zebra plate, which you can buy already sized correctly, (8" x 10"), but it might take just as long to get there, I don't know.

There have got to be places in Germany where you can get the borosilicate for 3 D printers - Germany is the place where it was developed.

Try the German version of Amazon. They do sell borosilicate sheet glass here, so they probably do there too. You need just a little bit less than 8 x 10.

Let me ask you this - did it completely break? If the glass did not completely break (if just a chip came out), you can just flip it over and print on the other side. (And order a couple extra to have as spares. They always chip when you need them most.)

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:01 am

not sure but can you get a 8x10 picture frame with a piece of glass. Not sure what sizes they sale in germany(metric), but you should be able to get something close to 8x10, that should fit temporarily
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:55 pm

theboz1419 wrote:8x10 picture frame with a piece of glass
I doubt even German picture frames feature borosilicate glass...

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:36 pm

People have used regular picture frame glass for printing for heated beds for a long time. It's not recommended, but it will work for a while.

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:14 pm

Just curious what Makergear is charging for international shipping? Since I bought my M2 in June, I've placed a couple of orders for some parts to have on hand and to make up for my mistakes, like chipping the corner of the glass twice. For domestic shipping, it is $20 dollars, so I've tried to anticipate what could go down on my printer for failures and for me being an idiot, then stock up on a few parts to have on hand, including a couple plates of boro glass.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:44 am

ednisley wrote:
theboz1419 wrote:8x10 picture frame with a piece of glass
I doubt even German picture frames feature borosilicate glass...
Regular peice of glass will be fine until he can get the correct type. He said he had a deadline and needed something quick. Picture glass will work just fine. If he cant find the correct size, then he could get it a bigger piece of glass then needed and glass cutter.

Once he has the time, he can get the correct type of glass.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers