Need help to figure this out, before giving up

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
daveb

Need help to figure this out, before giving up

Post by daveb » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:50 pm

I can not figure this out. I've tried temp settings, different materials and still get the same results. The shinier print is Makergear PLA, the other pics are the using ABS from another provider. Using a Zebra bed and software is Simply3D

3dPrintingMD

Re: Need help to figure this out, before giving up

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Can you print anything with success ? I would try to work printing calibration cubes, and very simple models to see what you can and can't get to work.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:01 pm

daveb wrote:I can not figure this out.
All those objects (look like they) have severe overhangs: circles standing on edge, outstretched arms, big blocks on little pedestals. Most of the failed overhangs look unsupported, too, although it does look like you have some rafts in there.

If that's true, then you've got a structural problem, not a materials / temperature / speed / cooling problem.

Basically, an extruded-filament printer can't print on air. If there's nothing underneath the nozzle, there's nothing to support the molten plastic, so it just dribbles out of the nozzle and hangs in a blob. When the nozzle finally moves over something solid, the blob sticks to the side, curls up around the edge, and wrecks the next layer. If the object is tall enough, the (smaller) upper layers may sort themselves out, but it's more likely that the nozzle will whack the accumulated blobs hard enough to either knock the object off the platform or stall the steppers.

Rule of thumb: an overhang of more than 45° from the vertical will require support. You can certainly do better than that, but it's a good reminder to think "Maybe I should align this thing another way..."

You can probably print all those objects by turning on automatic support generation, but I'd be tempted to split them in half vertically, lay them flat side down, print really good-looking objects without support, then glue 'em together.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Can't see the photos - i assume they're there, because there's a bunch of little circles with minus signs in them.

daveb

Post by daveb » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:30 pm

I did use supports. Just removed them before the photos. The one with "the arms sticking out" (didn't noticed that it looked like that until mention I see that now Ha Ha), was a button also.

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:51 pm

Jules wrote:Can't see the photos - i assume they're there, because there's a bunch of little circles with minus signs in them.
I can't see photos either...

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Jules wrote:Can't see the photos - i assume they're there, because there's a bunch of little circles with minus signs in them.
The pix were there two days ago and have now vanished. Depending on which browser I use, they're replaced by either that mysterious "no entrance" symbol or a broken picture placeholder.

They started as Planet Size™ images, so perhaps the PHP forum thumbnailing process / configuration has gone awry?

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Might be too long a path too - I tried copying and viewing in a different viewer - they're on Google images or something like that, and the path is two full lines long.

Dave you might want to resize those photos a bit smaller (1200 x 1200 is usually okay) and Upload them using the Upload Attachment button under the white typing block. Ed was the only one who saw them.

(Fortunately, Ed "do know what he's doin'", so follow his hints and you should be fine.)