Can't extrude properly

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Jules

Re: Can't extrude properly

Post by Jules » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:49 am

Okay, I think i can actually see what is going on in there, although it's kind of tough from that angle.

You actually have the tension too tight. The tooth marks in parts of that filament are at about 40% depth. What happens when the tension is that high, is that the filament starts to mash into an oval shape, which will cause it to jam when it tries to go into the top of the hot end. (Ovals don't fit in the hole, it has to be round.) When it jams, the filament will strip and chew up a lot of little crap and get a spot in it where there are no tooth marks.

But looking into your gear, I can see all kinds of stuff in the teeth - it looks like shreds from previous attempts to force the filament down have caused the teeth on the extruder gear to get all clogged up. That means that you have less tooth to catch in the filament, until you get to a certain point, and then the unclogged teeth are catching too deeply.

1. You need to remove the filament drive and clean the debris out of the teeth on the extruder gear. Until you get all those little shreds out, you won't be able to catch the filament and feed it in.
2. You need to loosen the tension quite a bit. All the way, actually. PLA requires almost no tension. (After you clean out the extruder gear.)

That should get it going again. :)

Since i had a minute this morning - i wanted to show you what I think I see in your photo. (Hard to tell with black filament.)
tension 2.jpg
This is a little easier to see with a lighter colored strand
tension 1.jpg

RipleyLlessur

Post by RipleyLlessur » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:17 pm

This problem has been SOLVED! hurray! I opened a support ticket with MG and David contacted me. He read through this post and the stuff I sent him and suggested I try plugging the filament guide tube into the extruder head. I did, and it worked! I guess when the filament is 'loose' it may not align correctly with the gear, and get stuck. That's why I thought the gear was out of alignment, but it was the filament. Thanks for your help Jules & David!

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Chuckle! That's why he's the expert - I never would have thought to mention that the guide tube is supposed to be tucked in.

Glad you got it solved! :D

grahamsholt

Post by grahamsholt » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Oddly enough I did a search for this problem, but didn't hit on this thread. My thread is awaiting approval by a mod, but it looks like this thread has it more or less covered.

I've got the same problem, but I'm not seeing how the filament guide tube goes into the extruder head. I'm guessing that's because I've got a Rev.D machine and it's either a new part on the extruder assembly that I don't have or the new machines are coming with a guide tube with a PTFE liner. If it's the PTFE liner that gets tucked in, then I think I have a piece of appropriate tubing that could be used.