Installed a new 30mm nozzle and its a mess!

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
wisdomknight

Installed a new 30mm nozzle and its a mess!

Post by wisdomknight » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:04 pm

It will not extrude PLA.... well if you consider the leaking PLA coming from the top of the nozzle instead then it is.
Keep in mind when I did start this I was using the Makergear black PLA.

Any recommendations as to go from here?
Last edited by wisdomknight on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zemlin

Re: Installed a new 30mm nozzle and its a mess!

Post by zemlin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:26 pm

remove the hot end from the mount.
Run the nozzle temp up so cold plastic won't be an issue.
Tighten nozzle onto hot end using one wrench on the hot-end body and another wrench on the nozzle. No need to over-tighten - the end of the hot-end inner sleeve just needs to seal against the nozzle.

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:42 pm

thank for your reply zemlin,
So I should remove the the hot end while leaving it plugged in in while heating?
Seems like it would be hard to handle while hot.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 pm

wisdomknight wrote:thank for your reply zemlin,
So I should remove the the hot end while leaving it plugged in in while heating?
Seems like it would be hard to handle while hot.
You don't want to work with the hot end while it is mounted. The thin section of the core is fragile and easily twisted or broken.

I take it loose from the mount before heating and I also remove the insulation sleeve. Then turn the heat on and once hot you can tighten the nozzle. I use an adjustable wrench on the hot-end body to get just enough grip to get the job done.

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:16 pm

thank you will try that

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:34 pm

nothing came out still.

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:46 pm

I put the original nozzle back in and now I get no PLA extrusion from that on now.
I had a feeling this would end up like this :(

insta

Post by insta » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:57 pm

Is the plastic getting into the nozzle?

You can tell if it's a nozzle problem or an extruder problem by removing the extruder assembly, and pushing plastic into the heated nozzle entrance by hand. If plastic flows then, it's an extruder problem and an easy fix (likely a misalignment). If plastic will not flow, then report back.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:36 am

First of all, thank you SO MUCH for actually responding! It's very frustrating not being able to contact anyone...this is an urgent problem for me as I have a MAJOR DEADLINE and nothing is coming through the nozzle. Here are some pics. I did not try to do that yet because I really dont understand what to do and Im scared to mess it up even more.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:55 am

A few steps:

First, plug in the hotend but let it dangle. Heat it to 180C. Once it's at temp, extrude plastic -- does it smoothly come out of the plastic cone thingy on the extruder?

Remove the three screws that hold the black extruder thing-a-majig on the motor. Pull the whole plastic assembly off and set it aside. Remove the brass nozzle from the hotend, then mount the hotend into the holder. Heat it up to 220C, and feed cleaner filament into it by hand. Does it come through cleanly? (it may push a bunch of crap out first) Cool the hotend to 140C and remove the filament.

Hold the removed brass nozzle in a pair of long tweezers. Heat it to a dull-red hot with a plumbers propane torch (just a straight Bernz-o-Matic: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/produc ... 3a_300.jpg -- don't get fancy) and blast it from all sides until it's clean, inside and out. Drop the hot nozzle into water. Repeat a few times until there's no foreign debris in the nozzle, period. You must be able to see through the nozzle when you hold it up to the light.

Reassemble the hotend (remove from the holder first). Mount it again, snug it down. Reinstall the black plastic thing-a-majig that feeds the filament, and line it up with the hotend before snugging it down.

Heat to 210C and use your software to feed PLA through the nozzle. If it doesn't work you need a new brass nozzle.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org