Installed a new 30mm nozzle and its a mess!

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
wisdomknight

Re: Installed a new 30mm nozzle and its a mess!

Post by wisdomknight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:33 am

I tried to do your very first step and nothing will come out...the hot end is filled with pla.

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:46 am

Ok, well...I dont have a blow torch, I can get one...but I can hold the nozzle up to the light and see through it which makes me think it's not blocked?

When I turned it up to 220 I could push (hard) the pla OUT...and I hooked it back up and it barely comes through. Very tiny strands.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:54 am

If you have some time, i can take some pictures of what Insta and Ed and Zemlin are talking about for you, since it's pretty confusing the first time you hear all the terms. (I have been dealing with some serious bad karma (and no power, off and on) since about mid-day yesterday.)

But these guys are the ones who taught me how to do this, they know what they are talking about. You're going to need to follow what I write below exactly, because skipping a step is not going to get the results you want.

Mine is going to look a bit different from yours, because I have a dual setup, but the main parts are going to be the same. This is going to take a while, probably continuing into tomorrow because I'm still pretty whipped, and the worst thing you can do is get impatient....take some deep breaths! ;)

Let me know if you need the help, because if not, I'm gonna hit the sack.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:13 am

Also, make sure the filament just hasn't been stripped in the filament drive. Pull the filament out of the drive and check for a spot where the gear has eaten out a spot- cut off the bad end if needed before you feed it back in.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:41 am

wisdomknight wrote:I tried to do your very first step and nothing will come out...the hot end is filled with pla.
The "hot end" being the metal thingy or the black plastic thingy bolted to the motor?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:58 am

insta wrote:
wisdomknight wrote:I tried to do your very first step and nothing will come out...the hot end is filled with pla.
The "hot end" being the metal thingy or the black plastic thingy bolted to the motor?
Insta, take a look at that first picture he has of the underside of the filament drive, and the last picture of the top of his hotend.

It looks to me like he's got melted plastic stuck to the bottom of the filament drive cone, and more coming out of the top of the hotend.

He might need a new hot end. What do you think?

Could that filament have melted on top of the hotend like that if he had the holes out of alignment? I've never seen that.

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:16 am

I really appreciate all your help. I am so stressed out Im going to bed. If anyone has any detailed instructions I would greatly appreciate it. This printer used to print SMOOTH AND AMAZING....I barely paid $100 back off my credit card and it's already busted? No warranty? No nothing....it worked perfectly for about 2 months and now this? Im pretty upset about it all. The worst part is it's the center of my business....and Im at a standstill.

So the latest is that I can see through the nozzle. I turned the temp over 200 and got some pla out of the tube. I hooked it all back up and it barely comes out, very thin and frail little short stream.

Please help! Thank you!

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:25 am

You're under warranty. You can contact makergear and they are very good about taking care of customers.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:32 am

wisdomknight wrote:I really appreciate all your help. I am so stressed out Im going to bed. If anyone has any detailed instructions I would greatly appreciate it. This printer used to print SMOOTH AND AMAZING....I barely paid $100 back off my credit card and it's already busted? No warranty? No nothing....it worked perfectly for about 2 months and now this? Im pretty upset about it all. The worst part is it's the center of my business....and Im at a standstill.

So the latest is that I can see through the nozzle. I turned the temp over 200 and got some pla out of the tube. I hooked it all back up and it barely comes out, very thin and frail little short stream.

Please help! Thank you!
Your machine is not busted, at worst you might have to pick up a replacement hotend, but like Jin said, it is under warranty if you have been using MakerGear PLA. If you have been using something else, you might have to spring for a replacement. (You should have one on hand anyway.)

If you do not work outside of the home during the day, i will be available tomorrow during the day to walk you through a couple of tests.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:15 am

wisdomknight wrote: This printer used to print SMOOTH AND AMAZING....I barely paid $100 back off my credit card and it's already busted? No warranty? No nothing....it worked perfectly for about 2 months and now this?
I bought my MG used from another user of the forum and this printer is circa 2014-15. MG still gave me free support (and parts) when I had rail issues.

"Warranty" is some thin wish washy BS that companys sell you. An then there is quality customer support. MG subscribes to the latter.

If this printer is the core of your business I would recommend that you source a 3rd party for now, you may have to eat your losses. Since this machine is business oriented, go and buy spare parts that are prone to issues, like hot ends, glass plates, filament drives, fans. I don't think I need to explain what down time does to you.