Installed a new 30mm nozzle and its a mess!

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
3dPrintingMD

Re: Installed a new 30mm nozzle and its a mess!

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Take the nozzle off.
Plug in the hot end.
Heat it up to 200deg.
Use tweezers to remove the clog from the top and the bottom.
Take an small 5" piece of PLA filament, and push it through and pull it out the bottom.

Once its clear, put the nozzle back on the hot end. Use two wrenches, but don't go rambo on it.

Put it back into the hot end holder and re-set you gap.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Okay Wisdom, i need for you to answer a few questions when you get back on, and take a couple more pictures that will help us to diagnose what is going on:

1. Have you been printing only PLA through that nozzle and hotend? Or have you been switching back and forth between PLA and ABS?

2. If you switched back and forth between the two, did you use eSun Cleaning Filament in between?

3. Do you have any eSun Cleaning Filament on hand?

4. Were you trying to print black PLA?

5. Do you have a spare hotend on hand?

6. Did you remove the filament drive at any point and put it back on? (Big printed plastic part that the filament goes through before it goes into the hotend.)

7. Are there any visible cracks in the filament drive that you can see without taking anything apart?

8. If you would, please remove the hotend from the machine and take a few close up shots of the top of the neck and the top opening, from various angles, with the hotend resting on a white sheet of paper so that we can get good contrast.

Here's why i want you to do that.....I know that you put on a new nozzle so the clog was not in the nozzle. But the top of your hotend looks like it has a large clump of plastic stuck to the top of it, or the liner inside the actual hotend is extending above the top of the neck. That means the barrel of the hotend is either clogged, or you had the holes out of alignment when you tried to force more filament through and it might have melted onto the top of the hotend instead of going in.

But i need to see more pictures 'cause that one doesn't show the right angle to determine that for sure. And if it is just an alignment issue or a big clump of goo on top of the hotend, cleaning the nozzle is not going to fix it for you. You will need to get the plug of filament out of the barrel, and you'll do that by removing the nozzle and the thermistor, and then heating the rest of the hotend up in a 225°f oven, on a piece of foil for a couple of minutes, and then using a potholder and a pair of needlenose pliers, gently pulling the plug out of the barrel. It should be pretty soft.

Then you are going to need to make sure you have the holes aligned when you put the reassembled hotend back into the clamp. In all honesty, the problem you had was probably caused by not having the clamp tightened correctly, so that the holes lined up. It's an easy fix after you get the mess cleaned up off the top of the hotend.

But...if that liner is extending above the top of the hotend, you're going to need a new one. Need to see more pics to be sure.

Upload the shots directly to the forum here, by clicking on the Upload Attachment tab in the darker blue bar right underneath this white typing area when you post a reply. (We can't zoom in on Google images to get in and see what we need to.)

I'll check back in frequently to see when you reply, and we'll go from there. Don't do anything beyond answering the questions and taking the pictures for now. We need to see the pictures first.

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:20 pm

[quote="Jules"]Okay Wisdom, i need for you to answer a few questions when you get back on, and take a couple more pictures that will help us to diagnose what is going on:

1. Have you been printing only PLA through that nozzle and hotend? Or have you been switching back and forth between PLA and ABS?
NO I have not, I initially used the black PLA that came with the machine.
Then I tried Hatchbox grey ABS, then I tried Hatchbox Wood PLA and then on to Hatchbox grey PLA for almost the last 2 months straight.

2. If you switched back and forth between the two, did you use eSun Cleaning Filament in between?
NO I did not

3. Do you have any eSun Cleaning Filament on hand?
No I do not.

4. Were you trying to print black PLA?
Yes I was.

5. Do you have a spare hotend on hand?
No I don't.

6. Did you remove the filament drive at any point and put it back on? (Big printed plastic part that the filament goes through before it goes into the hotend.)
No I did not..

7. Are there any visible cracks in the filament drive that you can see without taking anything apart?
Not that I can see.

8. If you would, please remove the hotend from the machine and take a few close up shots of the top of the neck and the top opening, from various angles, with the hotend resting on a white sheet of paper so that we can get good contrast.
I will do that very shorty. And thank you very much.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Okay, I'm standing by.... :D

And i need to ask you one more question:

When you change the filament, do you retract it out completely by reversing using the Jog controls and pull it out of the top while the extruder is hot? Or do you just cut the filament off above the filament drive and chase it in with the new strand of filament?

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:56 pm

Jules wrote:Okay, I'm standing by.... :D

And i need to ask you one more question:

When you change the filament, do you retract it out completely by reversing using the Jog controls and pull it out of the top while the extruder is hot? Or do you just cut the filament off above the filament drive and chase it in with the new strand of filament?
I retract it out completely while hot

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Good. Just need to see the pics.

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:21 pm

Ok hope these show you what you need to see:
20160825_121103.jpg
20160825_121057.jpg
20160825_121026.jpg
20160825_120940.jpg

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Need a bit more of a close up:

Lay it on it's side, like the first picture, but take the cloth cover off (it just slides off) and take the picture of the end that has the wires coming out of the top.

It's hard to tell if that is filament or just the angle of the picture.

I need one from this angle:
IMG_0958.JPG

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:34 pm

20160825_124630.jpg

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Okay, this is going to take me a while to type up, so if you want to take a break for lunch - now would be the time to do it.

Before you do, one of the things that I'm going to recommend is that you go order a spare hotend now.

We will likely be able to get that one running again, but no guarantees, and if you need it for business, you should have a spare on hand anyway. (ordering it now will just get it here sooner in case what I have in mind doesn't work.)

I'll explain what I think happened, and what steps to take next, but ordering the spare is step 1.