Installed a new 30mm nozzle and its a mess!

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Jules

Re: Installed a new 30mm nozzle and its a mess!

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:27 pm

wisdomknight wrote:Really, then why did I get good prints at 100 microns before?
Beginner's luck. (No kidding.) :lol:
wisdomknight wrote:And what nozzle do I need to print at that resolution effectively?
You need a 0.25 mm nozzle to do it with any kind of control. (And don't assume that you are going to be able to use all of the same settings for it either. You will need to lower your extrusion width to compensate for the lower layer height, probably slow the speed down some more, and adjust your retraction settings.)

But in general....same formulas and rules apply....extrusion width greater than hole diameter, so 0.26 mm minimum, and layer height 0.1 to 0.13 mm.

Printing at 100 microns is an expert thing. (I haven't done it yet myself.) There are several threads on it in the forum and you need to go find them and read up on the correct settings to use before tackling it.

You'll do yourself a big favor if you learn to print consistently though, at a slightly less detailed setting, before jumping off into the heavy duty stuff. But that's up to you. Just make sure you understand everything in the Beginner's Guide before you do, and use the forum for additional resources. It's a goldmine. These guys have tried just about everything. :D

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Thanks Jules.
Is there anywhere I can buy a .25mm nozzle, Makergear is sold out?

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:10 pm

No, I've always bought replacement parts directly from Makergear. You might drop them a quick note to find out when they are expecting their next shipment.

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Jules wrote:No, I've always bought replacement parts directly from Makergear. You might drop them a quick note to find out when they are expecting their next shipment.
ok TY

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:53 am

Don't take this the wrong way but.... you really should master printing with the .35 nozzle before trying to use a .25 Nozzle.

That .10 difference doesn't sound like much but if you're having these kinds of extruding problem with the .35 it's only going to get worse if you run a .25 :shock:

insta

Post by insta » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:40 am

sthone speaks truth. You can push a 0.35 down to 0.18 pretty reliably. That's what I offer for high-detail on my comissioned prints. You'll get surprisingly good print quality from those layers, if your extrusion is dialed in (and slightly under-extruded by 0.01-0.02).

Don't chase the layerheight dragon. You'll only catch it the first time. :mrgreen:

(my 0.20mm machine would regularly print at 0.08mm layers)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

wisdomknight

Post by wisdomknight » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Ok back printing at 100 microns perfectly now. I guess Im an advanced user and it wasn't beginner's luck after all ;)
For future reference according to Makergear tech support the M2 indeed prints well at 100 microns with a .35mm nozzle.
Actually Ive printed at 50 microns before...takes a long long time though...not worth it.

M2 had to be replaced btw, bad electronic board or something.
The heated bed was inconsistent and causing the banding.

I do appreciate all the help from everyone here and their time for days trying to diagnose the problem, TY all.