bed adhesion with PEI

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
psd

bed adhesion with PEI

Post by psd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:57 pm

Hello community
I have been printing on a PEI sheet over my glass bed plate successfully for quite a while now.
My preferred filament is the eSun PETG.

Most of the time I get great adhesion.
Sometimes it is not enough for small and very thick objects, it can peel.

sometimes it is too much; for large surface area objects i tend to have it stick too much and I wind up damaging my PEI sheet by scraping and prying down into it.

Is there any way to control the amount of adhesion to the bed, possibly by controlling the bed temperature or other settings during first layers?

It would be great if I could dial in less adhesion when needed so I could remove my parts easier and more when I notice critical parts are curling up.

thanks
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

Jules

Re: bed adhesion with PEI

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:27 am

Unfortunately, not that I know of. If mine isn't sticking well, I generally sand it a little bit to give it fresh tooth, but I haven't found a way around the too-tight sticking except to very carefully pry up at a corner to get it started.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:31 am

Not sure if it would work with PEI, but you could put it a freezer or even I guess some ice would work if the part is small and get the glass cold and hopefully the pei will cool before the part does and it should pop off. I have done that with kapton on glass, and the part just falls off
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:35 am

theboz1419 wrote:Not sure if it would work with PEI, but you could put it a freezer or even I guess some ice would work if the part is small and get the glass cold and hopefully the pei will cool before the part does and it should pop off. I have done that with kapton on glass, and the part just falls off
That's a good idea.

psd

Post by psd » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:03 am

theboz1419 wrote:Not sure if it would work with PEI, but you could put it a freezer or even I guess some ice would work if the part is small and get the glass cold and hopefully the pei will cool before the part does and it should pop off. I have done that with kapton on glass, and the part just falls off
Doesn't work with PEI.

does anyone know of playing with bed temperature un first layers has an effect on adhesion?

Thanks
Peter
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:52 am

Well darn it, lol. I'm hoping I can remove an ABS case, I have been printing on the mic6 and PEI, I received from Insta, this morning. I printed with a bed heat of 120°f, since I was having issues with it, lifting in the corners.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:53 am

theboz1419 wrote:Well darn it, lol. I'm hoping I can remove an ABS case, I have been printing on the mic6 and PEI, I received from Insta, this morning. I printed with a bed heat of 120°f, since I was having issues with it, lifting in the corners.
120F, or 120C?

I print ABS on PEI at 90C. You may need a brim or similar on large, boxy parts with ABS still. You did remove the film covering the PEI, right? ;)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:35 pm

insta wrote:
theboz1419 wrote:Well darn it, lol. I'm hoping I can remove an ABS case, I have been printing on the mic6 and PEI, I received from Insta, this morning. I printed with a bed heat of 120°f, since I was having issues with it, lifting in the corners.
120F, or 120C?

I print ABS on PEI at 90C. You may need a brim or similar on large, boxy parts with ABS still. You did remove the film covering the PEI, right? ;)
I started out with a higher heat, as I was having major issues with a case I have been trying to print, lifting in the corners on the stock bed. I'm am now at 100°c. I tried 90°c last night, although it was not bad, it did have some lifting in the corners. 100°c gives me a perfectly flat bottom, a little hard to remove, but I don't mind it to much.

Yep, removed the protective piece of plastic, and cleaned it really good.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:03 am

psd wrote:
Doesn't work with PEI.

does anyone know of playing with bed temperature un first layers has an effect on adhesion?

Thanks
Peter
Just did an ABS print that was stuck pretty good to the PEI and then put it in the freezer for atleast 30 minutes or longer and it popped right off.

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:07 am

oddly enough I've been having issues with PLA sticking to my PEI sheet as well, but only in certain locations on the sheet.

I'll upload a video later, but basically I have 4 circles being printed, and it's always the same two that give me issues. The front two circles lay down like butter, but then the skirt/brim on the back two ALWAYS drag a bit coming out of the nozzle, and risk peeling up. Sometimes it sticks after the first layer is printed, sometimes it peels during the first layer.

I've releveled the bed about 6 times now, and when it does stick, ALL 4 circles lay down perfectly, like super flat.

It's really frustrating, and I can't for the life of me find a solution

edit - here's the video. Not sure if you can really see it, but on the back two, you can see the PLA drags a bit before finally sticking, but then it sticks perfectly on the second go-around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxIJz2jeBTA
Last edited by crazyg0od33 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.