Extruder Cooling Fan Won't Run

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
pyronaught

Extruder Cooling Fan Won't Run

Post by pyronaught » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:54 am

My extruder cooling fan just stopped working on one printer, then the same thing happened on another printer. I disconnected the fans and plugged them into a working printer and they ran as expected, so it is not the fans that are bad. Before I get out the multimeter and start poking around I was wondering if anyone knows the most common cause of this problem?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

pyronaught

Re: Extruder Cooling Fan Won't Run

Post by pyronaught » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:09 pm

The extruder still works, so that rules out a blown fuse on the rambo. My guess is broken wire in the cable, but if it is a blown fet or something on the board I'm just going to wire the damn thing direct to power rather than buy a new board. It's not worth shelling out $180 x 2 to have a fan that turns off when the extruder isn't hot.

pyronaught

Re: Extruder Cooling Fan Won't Run

Post by pyronaught » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Doh! Only after taking everything apart and bench testing the cable do I figure out that the extruder fan is Fan1 and not Fan0. I was thinking each connector on the extruder junction box had a unique connector on it that prevented you from plugging things into the wrong spot, but I guess the two fans use the same connector.