Adding Dual Extruder v4 Kit Upgrade

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
zemlin

Re: Adding Dual Extruder v4 Kit Upgrade

Post by zemlin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:42 pm

CCRN wrote:Is this what you mean by the error in the S3D Display?
Screenshot 2016-10-27 20.33.39.png
My experience is that this will print fine, if you're just using the left nozzle.

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:31 pm

So I should absolutely remove the MakerGear M2 (24V V4 hotend) profile and stick with MakerGear M2 Dual and maybe spawn a new one off of this for single extruder prints.

It looks like the MakerGear M2 (24V V4 Hotend) profile left side is off because T0 is not in the same center position as it was prior to the upgrade.

Just trying to wrap my head around this and be able to trust the left side is going to print correctly and that I am using the correct profile.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Yes, you should switch to the MakerGear M2 Dual profile completely.

Matter of fact, there are profiles pre-created for the Rev.E machines here. Just load 'em and use 'em. (Although do read all of the disclaimers first.)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3554

mathisyourfriend

Post by mathisyourfriend » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:14 am

I also noticed the centering isn't right (x axis). I used the left extruder profile thinking it was the way to get all 8" on the x axis. Should I just use the dual profile and will that give me the full x axis range with the left extruder?

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:40 am

The "center" on dual extruders appears to be off by 25 mm in S3D due to the way that S3D treats it's nozzles. It assumes the right nozzle is the primary. With the M2, it is the left nozzle.

Don't change anything, just center your print using the software, and it should print on the bed.

You can change the way it displays on the screen by using an X Offset value, but then the print will no longer actually be centered on the bed. (You might want to run a couple of test prints using a thin single layer rectangle that spans the bed. Something might have changed in the S3D software since I wrote up the profiles.)

mathisyourfriend

Post by mathisyourfriend » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 am

Using the left extruder .fff for the dual extruder (posted by Insta) I set the X-Offset at -23mm and it's pretty close to centered. Did I misunderstand what the "25mm x-offset" meant? I use S3D and only the y-axis is flipped in the software.
BTW, Jules, thanks so much for all you do for a hack like me. The M2 is great but You, Insta, and many others here have made it much easier for this dumb math teacher to "trick" kids into seeing math can be useful (and supercool!).

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:07 am

I haven't seen Insta's profile, so he might be able to explain better what he has it set up for. :)
(I just use the ones I have set up here for the Rev. E)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3554

mathisyourfriend

Post by mathisyourfriend » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Sorry Jules, it's YOUR .FFF files I use as a baseline to tweak for my needs. It's Insta's "Filaments that work" thread and other posts that I misremembered/confused with your .FFF thread. It's been very useful as I get used to the new M2 (my old one was from Feb 2013). Thanks again!