M2 Lubrication

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Spencer
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:56 pm

M2 Lubrication

Post by Spencer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:45 pm

Hey! I have a quick question about the lubrication.

This website (http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-lubrication) says I'm supposed to lube my Z leadscrew. However, it says..

"If you have one of the newer black Z motors, which has a plastic nut on the lead-screw do not apply grease."

How do I know if I have a "newer black Z motor"? My manual only says I have a z motor. Is it a thing to apply lubrication to a Z leadscrew nowadays?

Thanks

thunderbt3
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Re: M2 Lubrication

Post by thunderbt3 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:57 pm

If you have the motor on the top, don't lube it. If you have the motor on the bottom, lube it.

http://makergear.wdfiles.com/local--fil ... arison.JPG

Spencer
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: M2 Lubrication

Post by Spencer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:21 pm

Wait, the guide says to not lube the black motors. My motor is on the bottom, and you say to lube it, but it's black.

thunderbt3
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Re: M2 Lubrication

Post by thunderbt3 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Sorry, I was referring to the position in the picture, not in the printer.
Last edited by thunderbt3 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spencer
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: M2 Lubrication

Post by Spencer » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:06 pm

thunderbt3 wrote:Sorry, I was referring to the position in the picture, not in the picture.
I'm sorry, what? That sentence is really confusing.

User avatar
Jules
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

Re: M2 Lubrication

Post by Jules » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:02 pm

If the switch for the Z-Stop is at the top of the screw rod, you can lube it lightly. If the switch is on the bottom (solid black colored Z-axis motor located under the plate - including Rev.E machines) you do not have to.

Unless you are storing the older machines in a damp basement or other high humidity area, you probably don't need to lube the Z screw on the older machines either - people tend to use too much grease, and then it catches threads from the prints and gets clogged up, making it harder for the bed to travel up and down, and sometimes making it stick.
Last edited by Jules on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thunderbt3
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Re: M2 Lubrication

Post by thunderbt3 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:55 pm

Spencer wrote:
thunderbt3 wrote:Sorry, I was referring to the position in the picture, not in the printer.
I'm sorry, what? That sentence is really confusing.
My bad, I corrected it.

Spencer
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: M2 Lubrication

Post by Spencer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:00 pm

Okay thanks guys!

Spencer
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: M2 Lubrication

Post by Spencer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Jules wrote:If the switch for the Z-Stop is at the top of the screw rod, you can lube it lightly. If the switch is on the bottom (solid black colored Z-axis motor located under the plate - including Rev.E machines) you do not have to.

Unless you are storing the older machines in a damp basement or other high humidity area, you probably don't need to lube the Z screw on the older machines either - people tend to use too much grease, and then it catches threads from the prints and gets clogged up, making it harder for the bed to travel up and down, and sometimes making it stick.
But my switch is the top AND my z-axis motor is solid black, lol.

User avatar
Jules
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36 am

Re: M2 Lubrication

Post by Jules » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:03 pm

You're the only one dude....chuckle! (You don't need to lube it.) ;) :D

Post Reply