linear slider (carriage) replacement time?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
rybrentd

linear slider (carriage) replacement time?

Post by rybrentd » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:17 am

I noticed some play in my X-axis linear slider (in the direction of making the nozzle closer/further from the print bed, or rotational play) and was wondering if this was normal or not. I took apart the x-axis assembly and isolated it to the slider which still moves buttery smooth. I have had the printer since end of February 2016 and noticed lately the z-axis offset had to be changed all the time, even running the same material/print bed. The Y-axis does not have this play, so is it time for replacement?
slider1.jpg

Matt_Sharkey

Re: linear slider (carriage) replacement time?

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:47 pm

I had a similar issue that you can find here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3770

I went through the official support on the website and after quite a few troubleshooting back and forth's, we determined that my carriage was not seated well with the X gantry rail. Makergear sent me a pair that was pre-installed and confirmed to work within spec. Start with a support ticket and see what they say.

rybrentd

Re: linear slider (carriage) replacement time?

Post by rybrentd » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:55 pm

They sent me a new slider and that fixed the issue, no more play! I am still getting a slight vibration noise that is similar to the video in your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sngk6a0 ... e=youtu.be

On the video you posted, around the 26-27 second mark is similar to the noise it makes but it does it the entire x axis travel depending on the speed. It is more of a vibration noise than a grinding noise...and the new slider has mitigated it immensely but it is still there...pressing lightly on the extruder fan (towards the linear rail) while printing gets rid of it.