Printer (Rev E) not detected by windows

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Kurz009

Printer (Rev E) not detected by windows

Post by Kurz009 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:03 am

Hi all,

Just got my printer this past Thursday. Everything was going smoothly and I managed to print a few things through Simply3D before a print failed. The print stopped suddenly and I read it could be because of printing through USB. Tried again through SD card and it still failed. I then read even having an interruption of the USB that's plugged in can cause a sudden stop even if it's printing off SD card.

Today I tried setting up OctoPrint on my rasberry pi 3, but it couldn't detect printer, so I gave that up. I tried connecting back to my windows machine and it doesn't show up at all. I cleared up all the COM ports and tested the cables (using 2 usb extension cables and the main one) and it still wont work. I tried power cycling it with cable, without cable, tried all my USB ports, tried the little button on it to reset it... I'm out of ideas. Windows wont detect it at all. Not even as an 'Other device.' I've been troubleshooting this for the last 5 hours and I'm all out of ideas. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

insta

Re: Printer (Rev E) not detected by windows

Post by insta » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:57 am

Do the little LEDs on the RAMBo light up when the USB is plugged in?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Kurz009

Post by Kurz009 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:13 am

insta wrote:Do the little LEDs on the RAMBo light up when the USB is plugged in?

Hi Insta,

I cant see any labels on lights since it's in the case (i don't want to open it in case of warranty issues). I did try and see if there are any changes in emitted light when I plug in and disconnect. None as far as I can tell. The green light is on (I assume that's power) and that's about it (besides the SD card slot).

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Just so that I understand.

This was working fine, recognized previously by Windows.

Any chance you can try another computer? A different USB cable? That would be where I would start.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

Kurz009

Post by Kurz009 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:29 pm

3dPrintingMD wrote:Just so that I understand.

This was working fine, recognized previously by Windows.

Any chance you can try another computer? A different USB cable? That would be where I would start.
Yes, I managed to get several prints out before USB issues started. The print failing after 4 hrs prompted me to make an Octoprint setup so I could have a dedicated computer plugged in while it prints off SD card. That way I wouldn't have USB interruption issues.

I've tried several other cables, all of them tested on other things and they work. Octoprint wouldn't detect the M2 on my setup on a Raspberry Pi 3. I tried loading OctoPi several times to the Pi3 and it works, but it doesn't detect the printer. I'll try to borrow my friend's Windows laptop today and see if it detects the M2. Everything else I plug into computer is detected, so ports and cables are working. It's either a software issue (driver or something) on my PC or hardware/firmware issue on my M2. In device manager no new 'Other' devices pop up, and only COM1 is active. When it was running it was on COM3. Disconnecting/Connecting doesn't trigger anything in windows. No plug/unplug sound or popup saying device has been connected.

I'm working with tech support from Makergear, but if you guys have any other suggestions I'll give it a shot or let you know if I've tried it.

Kurz009

Post by Kurz009 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:24 pm

UPDATE: I have borrowed my friend's Windows 7 laptop and tried connecting the M2 to it. I tried all the ports and different orders of powering on each one. The laptop does not see anything plugged in to the USB ports. :cry:

3dPrintingMD

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Good Luck.

I would guess that something went very bad with the rambo board.

Once you get running, you want to run Octopi, its really the best way to go in my opinion.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:51 pm

Contact MakerGear support ...if you've eliminated the USB cables as the problem, there might be something disconnected inside the electronics case that needs to be re-attached. They can walk you through it.

Be sure to outline the problem, be as specific as you can, and tell them what you have tried to do to fix it up front, so they can narrow down the potential problem.

http://www.makergear.com/pages/support

CCRN

Post by CCRN » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:23 pm

3dPrintingMD wrote:
Once you get running, you want to run Octopi, its really the best way to go in my opinion.
Agree'd. I've been printing to the M2 via USB Octoprint on a Canakit Raspberry Pi 3 I bought off Amazon. Installs with a single command line on the mac, then a few edits to add your wifi network if needed, then configure the printer and go. I like being able to pull up the status of a print on my iphone or ipad.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:57 pm

I had a problem communicating with my printer a couple of times and I found that the power connection for the printer does not get fully pressed in, it will have problems. My printer would just sit there and not do anything when I tried to print.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers