control board issue I think

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
MagicEngineer

Re: control board issue I think

Post by MagicEngineer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:12 am

I have checked the continuity from the z stop micro-switch to the board and all is well. I have checked both the switch and the plug for shorts. After looking at a diagram for the RAMBo board, i tried jumping the + & - pins of the min z end stop port directly during homing z. This has absolutely no effect which tells me that the board is not doing what it is supposed to do. I believe that makergear has sent me a bad replacement board. My frustration levels are rising to the point that I am ready to buy a Prusa.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:27 am

MagicEngineer wrote:I received the new board and it is all hooked up. I can now communicate with the printer again but I have a new issue. When I home z it rises to the top and immediately drops while the motor continues to whine. I have to hit emergency stop to shut off the motor. The light on the z stop micro switch is lighting so the switch is good but apparently the board is not getting the message. Any ideas?
Are you sure that the bed did not hit the nozzle when it rose to the top? (Raise the nozzle in the clamp to test it.) (And the firmware is correct for that model?) And that's it for my ideas. :?

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:29 am

correction make that the s and - pins that i jumped. I looked at the diagram wrong when I posted this

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:47 am

Jules wrote:
Are you sure that the bed did not hit the nozzle when it rose to the top? (Raise the nozzle in the clamp to test it.) (And the firmware is correct for that model?) And that's it for my ideas. :?
It does hit the nozzle, because it is not doing anything with the input from the micro switch. Even if I hit the switch manually of jump the pins at the board the bed still rises until it hits the nozzle.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 am

For the moment it seems to be printing. I reloaded Marlin on the board, and flipped the z motor plug around so i wouldn't have to make the code changes for the black and silver motor. That seems to have fixed it.

EDIT It turns out that more was required to work with the new loading of Marlin than just flipping the z motor plug around. I also had to change the z-step to 400 in the code. There is a note at the beginning of the code that would have told me that and saved me six hours of frustration from trying to figure out my layer adhesion and under extrusion problem, if i had only taken the time to read more than the part that says it's ok to flip the motor plug.