control board issue I think

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
MagicEngineer

control board issue I think

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:17 am

I think my control board has bit the dust. How can I tell for sure? Simplify3D cannot communicate with the printer and there are no lights lit on the board at any time. Also I checked the fuse and it is good.

Phil

Re: control board issue I think

Post by Phil » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:53 am

Most likely a CPU failure. I had a different, (non-M2), printer die like that. I replaced the CPU, and it works fine.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:06 am

Phil wrote:Most likely a CPU failure. I had a different, (non-M2), printer die like that. I replaced the CPU, and it works fine.
That was the other possibility I was thinking of. I actually ordered both because I need to get it running again asap and it can't hurt to have spares. I was hoping someone might know a quick method of troubleshooting between the two, but that was before I decided to order both. Now I will just plug in the new power supply and if it still doesn't work I will replace the board.

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:10 am

Did you check all three fuses?

http://reprap.org/wiki/File:Ramb1-2-fuses.jpg

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:24 am

sthone wrote:Did you check all three fuses?

http://reprap.org/wiki/File:Ramb1-2-fuses.jpg
No I did not. I didn't know about the other two. Turns out shorting the f3 brings it back to life. Any idea where I can get that style of fuse?

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:29 am

Actually I posted too soon. It gives me lights and fans but still no communication. I am running it with a fused jumper. When I attempt to connect I get the typical stopping of the fan but the connection still fails. I think we have successfully determined that it is the board, but i am worried that a short somewhere else might have blown the fuse and damaged the board.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 am

I received the new board and it is all hooked up. I can now communicate with the printer again but I have a new issue. When I home z it rises to the top and immediately drops while the motor continues to whine. I have to hit emergency stop to shut off the motor. The light on the z stop micro switch is lighting so the switch is good but apparently the board is not getting the message. Any ideas?

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:26 am

I thought I figured it out. The connector that appears to connect the z mico switch to the board has an adjacent connector to its right. I turned the plug around and plugged it into that socket. It seemed to work and homed properly. However when a print begins the build plate drops to the bottom and tries to print from there. everything else seems to be fine.
Last edited by MagicEngineer on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:30 am

MagicEngineer wrote:Nevermind I figured it out
What was the problem? .... it might help someone out in the future with the same issue.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:02 am

I was wrong I didn't figure it out