y axis slipping?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
dobart

Re: y axis slipping?

Post by dobart » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:28 am

And finally the test objects; subtle variations in the shift, again only in the Y axis; considering running a test by placing one in each extreme corner of the bed and seeing what happens. All prints in PETG.
Attachments
IMG_2488.JPG

dobart

Post by dobart » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:41 am

thumbnail_IMG_2489.jpg
(poorly lit example of acceptable output from earlier this month)

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:42 am

I dunno......it's a puzzle. The guys might know of something else to check. Have you watched one while it printed to see if you could see anything that might be hitting it? (Sometimes the new hold down clips on the Rev E machines would hit the screws under the X-gantry if they weren't turned parallel to the long side of the bed.)

dobart

Post by dobart » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:38 am

Yeah I'm still baffled. I'll try some test printing tomorrow- I'll have to think of a way to video it somehow and find the bits where it slips. Or print a small little column that rises fast so I don't have to wait...

Thanks for the tip RE the clips! had the heater off to look at the spider so I can confirm their position when I reassemble & re zero. Might as well re-tape. I can check out the situation under the gantry as well.

If I don't find anything at least I'll have plenty of data, scouring around I don't see much like this particular issue. I'll happily replace whatever it takes to get this thing up and running again once I can isolate the problem. Hoping for the miracle bit of mess that when removed frees it all up.

dobart

Post by dobart » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:38 pm

I'VE CAUGHT IT IN ACTION

Printed the test object at the back end of the bed. The Y step was so bad that it was printing in air within a few layers.

When it happens, it is not between layers but on the first corner of the perimeter of a new layer-

Layer completes, Z step occurs, X move happens along the perimeter, then GRGRGRGRGRGT Y motor grinds (like the sound it makes when commanded past limit)!!! Not sure if this is due to accumulated error or introducing it; It has easily shifted 10mm while printing 5 in the Z axis.

Lots of red lights on the RAMBo, I will need to find the diagnostic for them.

dobart

Post by dobart » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:59 pm

the test print at cancellation; I have video of the 'bbrrrrt' motor step; it's probably less than half a second, and it doesn't seem to change the position of the extruder relative to the print surface (jammed?). Gantry clear, all other print steps are fine and smooth.
IMG_2505.JPG
here's the glow from the board, flashing LED2; everything calmed down when I reset the USB by pulling out the cord. I'll start it again and see when that all lights up.
thumbnail_IMG_2499.jpg

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:11 am

At this point, you clearly need to start a support ticket with MakerGear. You've eliminated all of the easy fixes. :cry:

dobart

Post by dobart » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:25 am

Just finished up with that, many thanks for your help!

I'll update this when I find out what's going on and welcome any other suggestions. Overall it's been a long time since I've worked with a machine I've enjoyed as much as this one.

dobart

Post by dobart » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Update: after a few weeks on the service forum I have taken my printer apart, put it back together again, reflashed the firmware, and I still print like this.
Attachments
IMG_2566.JPG

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:25 pm

I know you said everything moves freely, but I wonder if there's some bit of sumpin' in the recirculating balls on the Y-axis slide that causes it to catch once in a while. I'm guessing the x and y slide blocks are interchangeable ... maybe try a swap?