I've managed to cause the extruder motor to not turn

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
branchedout

Re: I've managed to cause the extruder motor to not turn

Post by branchedout » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:37 am

Jules wrote:You might want to start a ticket with MakerGear support:

http://www.makergear.com/pages/support
Thank you, I'll give it a shot. I bought it used so no warranty for me.
Now, if I can get a good firmware I'd have a starting place. I still don't know if my extruder motor wasn't working due to hardware defect or improper firmware.

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:18 pm

They can sell you the replacement board if you need one. Or any other parts you might discover that you need. :)

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 pm

After reading through this whole thread, I'm inclined to think that this is a firmware issue, that the machine was purchased with non-stock options set in the firmware and some unusual wiring on the board. Flashing a stock firmware then causes bad things to happen. I wouldn't necessarily say that something has died because the wires sparked, but of course, it can't be ruled out without testing.

The difference betwen 135 and 165 set current isn't going to make the difference between the motor working or not, so I think that's a red herring.

There's the question of why the extruder was plugged into the Extruder 1 socket. The usual reason for doing something like this is because something happened to the Extruder 0 (I assume we're talking about a second hand machine, here? So that you don't know its history for certain). That would be a plausible explanation of what you see: The extruder MOSFET burned out due to some mishap, the plug was switched over to extruder 1 and the firmware was reconfigured to swap the pins for extruder 0 and extruder 1. You flash a stock firmware, which puts it back to the broken extruder 0. Now it doesn't work anymore. You move the wire from extruder 1 back to 0, but extruder 0 is broken, so it still doesn't work.

I can't be sure that's what's going on, but it sounds plausible. If it's right, the solution is to swap the pin numbers for extruder 0 and extruder 1 in the firmware, so that the firmware thinks that whatever is plugged into the socket labeled "extruder 1" is actually extruder 0. At least that's worth trying before going off and spending $150 on a new electronics board.

branchedout

Post by branchedout » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Tim wrote:After reading through this whole thread, I'm inclined to think that this is a firmware issue, that the machine was purchased with non-stock options set in the firmware and some unusual wiring on the board. Flashing a stock firmware then causes bad things to happen. I wouldn't necessarily say that something has died because the wires sparked, but of course, it can't be ruled out without testing.

The difference betwen 135 and 165 set current isn't going to make the difference between the motor working or not, so I think that's a red herring.

There's the question of why the extruder was plugged into the Extruder 1 socket. The usual reason for doing something like this is because something happened to the Extruder 0 (I assume we're talking about a second hand machine, here? So that you don't know its history for certain). That would be a plausible explanation of what you see: The extruder MOSFET burned out due to some mishap, the plug was switched over to extruder 1 and the firmware was reconfigured to swap the pins for extruder 0 and extruder 1. You flash a stock firmware, which puts it back to the broken extruder 0. Now it doesn't work anymore. You move the wire from extruder 1 back to 0, but extruder 0 is broken, so it still doesn't work.

I can't be sure that's what's going on, but it sounds plausible. If it's right, the solution is to swap the pin numbers for extruder 0 and extruder 1 in the firmware, so that the firmware thinks that whatever is plugged into the socket labeled "extruder 1" is actually extruder 0. At least that's worth trying before going off and spending $150 on a new electronics board.
Ah! Thank you Tim! I didn't think of trying to swap PINs in the firmware! But yes, as sure as I want to be nothing got fried, It'd be foolish to believe and carry on as if nothing is fried until it's tested.
I do IT for an organization and do lots of troubleshooting, so I'd like to claim I was running on E this weekend :lol: I also have a negligible amount of experience with small electronics outside of "holy cow this cable I made actually transmits electricity" I'll check with the guy who sold it to me (user on this forum and has been extremely helpful, so definitely not the villain as he sold me a perfectly working machine that I messed up.
I'll report back when I take a crack at that, but maybe tomorrow. Work today has me irritable and I may get too frustrated working on the M2 and may not think straight.

Edit: And we're extruding! Or well, it's trying. My motors seem to be running a little slow. The axis home veeeery very slowly and the Z axis doesn't actually make it to the top. Before I put in Makergear's suggestion it was homing at a good speed, so I'll replacing those values.
Edit 2: Worked!
I want to thank everyone for assisting me. I've learned a lot about the machine in a week's time! But being near the end of my wit, attached is a summation of my feelings when I saw everything home at proper speed and extrude plastic.
Attachments
1436806341889.jpg