When to use polyimide tape

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
CCVirginia

When to use polyimide tape

Post by CCVirginia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:09 pm

I ordered a replacement class as mine now has 2 chips in it. The new glass came with polyimide tape already on it. I have been printing on the glass with hairspray (based on recommendations in this forum) – mostly PLA or PetG. When do you use polyimide tape? Should I leave it on and otherwise print in the same way?

Phil

Re: When to use polyimide tape

Post by Phil » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:32 pm

I have printed on the Kapton tape on glass with both PLA and PETG without any other adhesives, just bare tape, with 100% success. I would definitely suggest trying the tape side of the glass with no hairspray.
I have just started using a MIC6 plate with a PEI sheet on it, printing PLA and PETG with Outstanding success.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:29 pm

I used polyimide tape for a while but found it considerably more high-maintenance than simply using hairspray. But like Phil, I now have a MIC6 plate with PEI on top and it can't be any simpler. You can't damage a MIC6 plate, and the PEI surface is about as low-maintenance as you can get (run some fine-grit sandpaper over it occasionally).

As far as performance, they're all about the same. The main difference is how often you have to prep the surface, how much trouble it is, and how easy it is to damage the surface. I'd say keep the polyimide until you've shredded it while getting some print off, then go back to hairspray, and when you're tired of that, or chip the glass again, get yourself a MIC6 plate.

CCVirginia

Post by CCVirginia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:10 am

Ok, will try the MIC6+PEI. I see it is available from Insta.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:40 pm

CCVirginia wrote:Ok, will try the MIC6+PEI. I see it is available from Insta.
That's where I got mine. Insta does a good job with it. Highly recommended.