Do I need to update my Firmware?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
spmahoney78

Do I need to update my Firmware?

Post by spmahoney78 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:25 pm

I have an Old Machine (silver Z motor) 24v & v4 hotend. Just updated to the V4 hotend and the instructions don't say anything about updating the firmware but I'm concerned that the Wiki mentions different firmware for the V4 vs. The V3b and I imagine it has to do with the heater/thermistor. Thanks for your help in advance.

insta

Re: Do I need to update my Firmware?

Post by insta » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:56 am

You should contact support for this, to make sure they get the right firmware for your machine.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:24 pm

I don't recall if there are any firmware differences BUT if your machine is one of the very early models with the z motor that gets fairly hot, when you upgrade to 24v you need to replace that motor. the motor could barley handle the 19v it was given then upping it to 24v its going to get super hot and life wont be long.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Not that I disagree, but that seems odd. The driver should be current limiting it, and amps in = heat out.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 pm

insta wrote: The driver should be current limiting it
The problem comes from the high-resistance windings: the current required to produce the proper torque generates so much voltage across the windings that the driver can't do current limiting. Those motors were intended for old-school full-step H-bridge drivers applying the power supply directly to the windings, not microstepping drivers that limit the current.

Putting the required current through a high winding resistance (28 Ω - ish) produces enough heat to fry an egg.

Running the same current through a low resistance winding (2.8 Ω - ish) dissipates 10% as much power: the motors run cooler. Not cool, mind you, but you can't do the egg-frying trick. You can then increase the current to increase the torque, with the power dissipation increasing as the square of the current; there's still an upper limit to how much current you can use.

I got one of those motors in early 2013 and wrote up what was going on:
https://softsolder.com/2013/04/10/maker ... per-motor/

Back in the Really Bad Old Days, Makerbot used high-resistance steppers everywhere in the Thing-O-Matic. My analysis of that mess probably tells you way more than you want to know:
https://softsolder.com/2011/05/05/thing ... -analysis/

spmahoney78

Post by spmahoney78 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I went ahead and flashed the firmware with the version recommended on the Wiki and it's working great. I haven't noticed any heat on my old silver Z motor but I'll keep an eye on it. It's kind of frustrating because I've asked Makergear about upgrading/replacing the motor and the only response I get is that they don't offer an upgrade/replacement. It's a little maddening since they obviously offer a motor on the newer models and it there's a concern of heat/limited life on the old one then I expect some type of recommended solution. I've been disappointed more than once by the manufacturer lack of support though so I've learned to rely on the forum.

I'm very happy with the V4 so far and the stock settings in Simplify3d. I'm waiting for Insta to ship the next batch of Mic6 plates w/PEI. :)

Thanks again!
Shawn