Worn out filament drive?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
MattF

Worn out filament drive?

Post by MattF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:45 am

I'm having an issue with feeding filament into my M2 rev E. The filament starts fine and begins to move in place but then stops. Even if I adjust the filament tension screw it still doesn't move. If I push down on the filament with my hand I get filament through the hot end. I pulled the fan off and watched the gear and its turning fine. I'm at a loss. Any thoughts?

Here's a video.

https://youtu.be/Dg2wa43UTG0

3dPrintingMD

Re: Worn out filament drive?

Post by 3dPrintingMD » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:30 am

You need more tension. Tighten the screw and post another video. I am also going to guess you have a minor clog. There could also be something in the filament drive as well causing the filament to drag.
M2 - V4, MIC-6 Build Plate, Astrosyn Damper's(X/Y), Rev. E, Geeetech LCD

S3D - FFF Settings https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2367
Print Quality Troubleshooting https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... eshooting/

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:36 am

I've tightened it all the way and it didn't make a difference. Also, no clog that I can find. I even changed nozzles.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:02 am

I have had this issue on and off, and recently I had the issue I took the drive apart and took a t-handle Allen wrench, I'm not sure what size it was but it was a tight fit, and I pushed it in all the way a few times and twisted it.

I pit all back together and it's been great ever since.

Worth a try atleast
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:38 am

The newer drive gears with the smaller teeth (better for flex filaments i think), tend to get clogged up with little shreds of filament. Cleaning the teeth out with a little brush (they might have included one with the newer machines) is supposed to help with that. The gear may just be slipping against the filament instead of the teeth catching.

(Don't know for sure - i have the old gear with the deeper teeth.)

Or....check the plastic carefully on the filament drive, all the way around, for cracks. That ABS can crack and you won't be able to maintain pressure against the gear.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Jules wrote:
Or....check the plastic carefully on the filament drive, all the way around, for cracks. That ABS can crack and you won't be able to maintain pressure against the gear.
This was my thought too. Even when I tighten the screw all the way I don't have pressure against the gear (or at least the filament isn't moving unless I push down on it with my hand).

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:53 pm

I use to have this problem too... sometimes the springiness of the drive just wears out after time so I came up with this fix and haven't had a problem since.

I pretty much just set the tension once too and I never have to change it even when changing filament types.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Jules wrote:Cleaning the teeth out with a little brush (they might have included one with the newer machines) is supposed to help with that. The gear may just be slipping against the filament instead of the teeth catching.

(Don't know for sure - i have the old gear with the deeper teeth.)
Thanks Jules. I did this too and was able to feed filament through with the screw cranked. Makegear is of course awesome and are in the process of sending me a replacement. I fully intend to print a few out of petg too.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:35 pm

sthone wrote:I use to have this problem too... sometimes the springiness of the drive just wears out after time so I came up with this fix and haven't had a problem since.

I pretty much just set the tension once too and I never have to change it even when changing filament types.
I plan on printing this once I get the hardware you list. Seems potentially better than makergears design