Failed Prints

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
spiritbreaker

Failed Prints

Post by spiritbreaker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:28 am

I'm not sure what is going on. The printer was working flawlessly for a couple of weeks and now my prints are failing. I'm using esun PLA+ white bed 70 extruder 220, I printed two complicated prints with this filament what came out great and now everything is failing on me. Any idea whats going on?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3JPMH ... sp=sharing

Jules

Re: Failed Prints

Post by Jules » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Looks like the PLA warped up at the base, the nozzle hit the print, and you wound up with a bird's nest air print there.

For PLA, especially something that tall, use hairspray or gluestick heavily on the glass to make sure it stays stuck down through the entire print.
(When it starts to warp, the print is dead, kill it and save yourself some filament and time.)

spiritbreaker

Post by spiritbreaker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks, Jules!

So I spray the hairspray directly on that orange film that's on top of the glass? What kind of hairspray?

spiritbreaker

Post by spiritbreaker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:14 am

Also, on that picture I attached, it looked like the print adhered to the glass fine and that only one leg of the figure I was printing started to fail. Would that still be an issue that the hairspray would fix? Like maybe as the print got taller it wobbled? Or is there something else that might be going on?

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:58 am

I use Aqua Net Extra Super Hold Hairspray (Purple can - any drugstore/grocery store). Lay down a heavy coat while the plate is cold, let it dry completely, and then refresh with a light spray between prints.

Not sure what happened with the leg, but the warping of the base will cause a print to fail higher up. So make sure that gets stuck down and stays down for the entire print. :D