Makergear M2 LCD -- Just me or SLOW?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
BBID

Makergear M2 LCD -- Just me or SLOW?

Post by BBID » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Makergear M2 with the LCD upgrade. One of the first issues that caught me off guard was the sluggishness of the LCD. I expected the rotary encoder to be less than responsive from prior reviews of the printer, but what I did not expect was the lag and sometimes totally unresponsiveness/freezing of the LCD when the printer is actively printing...

Is it just my unit, or is this how all the LCDs function? I'm a bit surprised that Makergear would ship LCDs that function like this, but maybe its a hardware limitation that can't be resolved?

Thanks for your input!

insta

Re: Makergear M2 LCD -- Just me or SLOW?

Post by insta » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:26 pm

The LCD units are considered "slow" by the firmware (since they use I2C buttons). The firmwares only read "slow" buttons during direction changes.

Since my workflow relies on LCDs so heavily I've honestly considered a post-processing script to break long moves into several short moves just to keep the GCode & command buffer moving...
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

BBID

Post by BBID » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:26 pm

So it sounds like this is an known issue with the LCD units and there's no real quick fix. Have you tried anything to improve the responsiveness of the LCD, or just learned to live with it as is?

solarlight

Post by solarlight » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:14 pm

I received one the other day.. it was incredibly slow and often unresponsive due to its serious lagging.

I am in the process of returning it.
I was surprised as I expected it be commensurate in performance/quality to the M2E.

The only real way to have them provide a better alternative is through your economic vote.