build plate doesn't descend after completed print

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
gsd

build plate doesn't descend after completed print

Post by gsd » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:25 pm

So recently after a completed build the build plate stays up top just below the extruder and does not descend down to the bottom of the lead-screw. Can anyone offer any help in getting this to drop as it should. Thanks

sthone

Re: build plate doesn't descend after completed print

Post by sthone » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Are you preforming your weekly/monthly maintenance? Your Z axis rods and lead screw may need cleaning/lubing.

You can always add this line G1 Z195 ; drop Z axis to just above spring to your ending scrip too. (this is not an alternative to the maintenance you still need to keep up on that.)

gsd

Post by gsd » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Thank you for this information. It is actually a brand new machine (my 2nd M2) so it definitely did not need maintenance.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:30 pm

sthone wrote:Are you preforming your weekly/monthly maintenance? Your Z axis rods and lead screw may need cleaning/lubing.

You can always add this line G1 Z195 ; drop Z axis to just above spring to your ending scrip too. (this is not an alternative to the maintenance you still need to keep up on that.)
Came here to say this. My printer occasionally does this and I know that I forgot to clean./lube this month. Wipe the zscrew as clean as you can get it and then apply a SMALL amount of lube to the screw above the build plate and move it up and down etc to distribute. Remember too much lube can be an issue as well as it can get gummy and catch a bunch of particulate.

jprochnow

Post by jprochnow » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:40 am

If you received a rev e machine the bed won't automatically drop. You will need to add the gcode to do this. The rev d and e run a different z stepper motor with a lower pitch thread on it. That is why it doesn't drop anymore.