eSun PLA PLUS filament stings and hairs, oh my...

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
rixpix247

eSun PLA PLUS filament stings and hairs, oh my...

Post by rixpix247 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:03 am

I've been searching through all the postings regarding this "stings and hairs" issue with eSun PLA PLUS but didn't find a solutionexcept for maybe settings for the eSun PETG filament which is of course a different beast altogether.

So, STD PLA prints great. I have tried various modifications to the PLA profile settings but to no avail, so I thought I would post my dilemma here. I tried multiple retraction distances up to 5mm. I tried greater retraction speed up to 5800mm/min. I tried retraction vertical lift up to 1mm. I tried slowing the print speed down from 4800 in stages to 1800mm/min. Layer height is .2mm at 10% fill. Avoid crossing outline for travel movements is set at 3.0. Force retraction between layers is on as well as only retract when crossing open spaces. Nozzle Dia .35mm. Extrusion Multiplier .90%. Extrusion width is manual at .40mm. Coast at end is off as well as Wipe Nozzle is off.

eSun PLA PLUS seems to be very nice for large area pieces, but man does it string minute hairs for small intricate parts. I would expect eSun PLA PLUS to stand up against heat warpage better than STD PLA and therefor is a nice inbetween PLA and Colorfabb XT, yes?

Stock MakerGear M2 (circa April 2014) V3 hot end, 24 volt power supply.

I be stumped. I would appreciate some help from this great MakerGear community.

Rick

insta

Re: eSun PLA PLUS filament stings and hairs, oh my...

Post by insta » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Enable coast @ 0.30mm, disable "don't cross", retraction 1.2mm @ 75mm/sec.

Keep your temps as low as you can get them and still maintain layer adhesion. For me, that's about 205C.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

rixpix247

Post by rixpix247 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:24 am

Wow, nothing like an INSTA fix!! LOL! Thank YOU for the info!

Your settings are excellent. My hot end temp had to be upped to 225c but my guess is because I am using the V3 hot end. When I received my M2 there was something about with the V3 upping the temp by about 20 degrees to equal the actual temp at the hot end. Tried 220c even but the filament would only feed at the beginning and would stop extruding half way through the first layer. My guess is as the filament started feeding through it was lowering the hot end temp by a little bit. 225c worked great.

Now I can say that eSun PLA + IS REALLY GREAT STUFF!

Many many thanks!
Rick

insta

Post by insta » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Oh man, you need to go V4 :)

The upgrade is quick, if you're already a 24v user.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org