M3 Wi-Fi Connection Problems

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
GBuchwitz

M3 Wi-Fi Connection Problems

Post by GBuchwitz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:06 am

Hi.

I'm having a hard time acquiring and then maintaining a Wi-Fi connection between my Windows 10 laptop (with Bonjour) and my M3. After quite a bit of grappling I was eventually able to make the M3 a device on my Wi-Fi network.

When I double-click the M3 device on my Wi-Fi network, if I'm lucky the OctoPrint page starts to load. Then I wait (and wait... and wait... wondering if anything is happening) to see if the rest of the OctoPrint page finally loads. If I get to that point, then I can at least get started on a slicing/printing job. If I don't get there after a few minutes then I need to shut down the M3 (pressing the Reset button for 10 seconds) and start all over.

Sometimes instead of the OctoPrint page loading, I get a basic HTML page asking me to register my M3. I've attempted to enter the requested information two times, but this screen eventually becomes unresponsive and I have to start all over (again). Enabling and disabling IE's popup blocker as suggested doesn't seem to impact whether or not the OctoPrint page loads completely.

If I'm really lucky, the entire OctoPrint page loads, and I'm able to complete the slice and initiate the print operation. While the M3 completes the print, the Wi-Fi connection with my laptop rarely survives to the end of that process. The laptop displays a message saying that it's lost the server connection, that it will try to reconnect later, and that I can force a reconnection attempt by clicking a button. Neither waiting, requesting reconnection, nor refreshing the page ever restores the Wi-Fi connection between my laptop and my M3. I get my print, but I lose access to the print progress/monitoring information, and the only way to reconnect seems to be to cycle power on the M3 and start over (again).

There have been a couple of times in which the Wi-Fi connection survived through the entire process... affording me the luxury of shutting down the M3 by clicking OctoPrint's power button.

My initial impressions of other aspects of my M3's performance are very positive, but the Wi-Fi connection has been extremely frustrating so far. Any suggestions as to how I can establish a reliable connection would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help! - guy

GBuchwitz

Re: M3 Wi-Fi Connection Problems

Post by GBuchwitz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:54 am

Since posting my original message I've learned that many people are experiencing incompatibilities between Microsoft Edge and OctoPrint. I'm still experiencing wildly varying wireless connection performance (zero to very fast) since switching to Chrome, but even though my connections remain completely unreliable they're a bit better than they were.

Is anyone else out there having similar problems connecting via OctoPrint on their Wi-Fi networks? Any fixes you can suggest?

Thanks! - guy

TappedOut

Re: M3 Wi-Fi Connection Problems

Post by TappedOut » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Windows 10 Pro 64 and Chrome no problems most of the time.
Rarely I get the register page and nothing else loads.
I just cut power on M3, wait a few and boot back up and it has always worked fine.
Works well with my Asus Android tablet and Chrome too!

Ethernet is always an option.