Octoprint Load Time (what's normal?)

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
GBuchwitz

Octoprint Load Time (what's normal?)

Post by GBuchwitz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi.

Once I enter my M3's Octoprint IP address into Chrome it typically takes about a minute for the server's page to begin loading. Then the process seems to pause (displaying "LOADING...") - typically taking a few more minutes for the page to resume & complete loading so I can login.

I'm close to brain dead regarding networks, but this seems extremely S-L-O-W. Is this normal? If not, any suggestions how I can speed this up would be appreciated.

Thanks! - guy

atomic_peach

Re: Octoprint Load Time (what's normal?)

Post by atomic_peach » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:58 pm

I use OctoPrint with my M2. It should load pretty quickly; less than a second. Are you in a congested network area (apartment complex with many other wifi networks)? My first thought is to run a ping (in cmd.exe) to see if packet loss is an issue. Have you tried opening it on another computer or browser (or in an incognito/private tab)?

GBuchwitz

Post by GBuchwitz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:31 am

Thanks for your reply, Atomic Peach.

Following your "ping" recommendation I get no lost packets but a message "Destination host unreachable".

I have experienced similar unreliable results with my iPad and iPhone. Last night I experienced the fastest OctoPrint load and gcode file uploads I'd ever seen (probably what you normally see), but this morning and this evening I haven't even been able to load OctoPrint... let alone transfer a file to my M3.

As for network congestion I can't say if that could/couldn't be a factor. I can say that several devices use our home Wi-Fi, and i don't recall ever seeing things bog down.

V/r, - guy

atomic_peach

Post by atomic_peach » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 pm

This is definitely a routing issue, then. I am not an expert on networking so I don't know how much I can continue helping. Try running "arp -a" in cmd and see if it outputs the IPs of all connected devices. If it is just the Octopi missing, then there is the problem. If you are missing multiple, I would believe the router is the issue. (Only consider the IPs on your gateway, such as 192.168.X.X; ignore subnet masks and the like, 255.255.x.x)

Things I would check:
  • Ensure DHCP on the router has enough IP addresses to give for number of devices on the network
  • Ensure multiple devices are not using the same IP
  • Give the raspi a static ip outside the DHCP range
  • Verify router firmware is up to date and it is not throwing any errors
  • Restart your router and devices