octoprint and reprap graphic controller (the makergear one)

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jferguson

octoprint and reprap graphic controller (the makergear one)

Post by jferguson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm homing in on printing with octoprint. I got a print started and then got a serial error - bad response from printer. I have the graphic controller connected to the RamBo. Is this a mistake, or should I add a switch to the controller to cut off communication with the printer when I'm using the octopi?

Hugs

Re: octoprint and reprap graphic controller (the makergear o

Post by Hugs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 pm

How are you running OctoPrint?

I have a couple OctoPrint plugins that send info to the LCD so they definitely work together. I'm running a dedicated OctoPi on a Raspberry Pi 3 though.

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:46 pm

I too am running a dedicated Pi3. I have it connected to the usb port on the printer. The lcd is connected to the header array inside the printer electronic box and accordingly it's on whenever the printer is on. It could be that my mistake was turning on the bed heater with the LCD and then trying to run a print with the Octopi Pi3. Maybe if I used the octopi to turn on the heater or not touch the lcd after firing up the m2 I wouldn't have any problems.

Does this make sense to you?

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:30 pm

jferguson wrote:[...]turning on the bed heater with the LCD and then trying to run a print with the Octopi Pi3.
I just printed a calibration cube by setting the nozzle and bed temps with the LCD then starting the print via OctoPrint and I didn't have any issues. Is it a consistent error? Maybe a bad USB cable or connection?

IIRC, the rotary encoder on the display is considered a "slow" input by the firmware so I don't think it could directly cause issues like that.

I'm sure some others will have some opinion.

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:40 pm

error happened once which was enough to unnerve me. I'll try another cable. good idea. also another port, there must be some reason that there are four of them on this thing.

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:57 pm

SOLVED - or at least discovered. :D Problem was intermittent power to raspberry - dicey connector on this particular board. I'll make a chuck to improve stability (reduce wiggleability) of mini usb connector. Case is my design so should be easy.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 pm

jferguson wrote:SOLVED - or at least discovered. :D Problem was intermittent power to raspberry - dicey connector on this particular board. I'll make a chuck to improve stability (reduce wiggleability) of mini usb connector. Case is my design so should be easy.
If "reduce wiggleability" isn't a technical term in accepted engineering fields, it needs to be.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi Insta. The problem with adopting wiggleability as an engineering term is what would the metrics be? What we're talking about is a a very low frequency partially bounded asynchronous externally perturbed (induced?) oscillation. I wouldn't doubt that there is a word for this in German, maybe even a DIN standard.

Or maybe a quantum function?