anyone know if the THE OLSSON RUBY Nozzle works with the M2?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
psd

anyone know if the THE OLSSON RUBY Nozzle works with the M2?

Post by psd » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Does anyone know if the THE OLSSON RUBY nozzle works with the M2?
says it fits: Every printer with a E3D V4/V5/V6 1.75mm
is this us?

Has anyone tried this or is there a hardened steel nozzle available that resists abrasive filament any better than maker gear's SS nozzle?

thanks
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

atomic_peach

Re: anyone know if the THE OLSSON RUBY Nozzle works with the

Post by atomic_peach » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 am

The MakerGear V4 hotend is not an E3D hotend. The MG V4 nozzles have female threads, so the RUBY will not be compatible. Email them and share your interest. They will only make other versions if there are enough potential buyers.

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 pm

The other way to do it is convert your M2 to use a E3D extruder. There's a number of guys on here that have done the conversion.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Boo the V4 is better though.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

psd

Post by psd » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Is the V4 Hotend superior to the E3D hot end?

Are there any advantages to mounting the E3D hot end on the M2?

thanks
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

jhaupt

Re: anyone know if the THE OLSSON RUBY Nozzle works with the M2?

Post by jhaupt » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 pm

This is an old post but I couldn't resist:

I had switched my M2 from the V4 hotend to an e3d Titan, which required some time consuming modifications. After almost a year running that way I started to run into reliability problems which I could only attribute to the e3d (feed issues that I attributed to partial clogs, and occasional complete clogs that were refractive to typical de-clogging methods). Reluctantly, I reversed all modifications and returned to the v4 hotend and haven't looked back. I've concluded that the v4 hotend is clearly superior to the e3d, and possibly one of the best hot ends out there.

For what it's worth I've also modified a TAZ to use an e3d Titan. I've experienced some of the same bad clogs with that, but the prospect of using the stock TAZ extruder is untenable (3mm filament).

I have a large format home brew machine that runs e3d Aero hot ends and I think those may be more reliable than the Titans, but I'll certainly never consider removing a Makergear machine's excellent v4 hotend ever again.

It is however frustrating that Makergear doesn't seem to support hardened steel components as "official" parts. Carbon-filled filaments do very much have their place and I use them often. At work I just got us an Ultra One and I'll be swapping out the brass nozles and standard hobbs with aftermarket hardened parts.

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:29 am

jhaupt wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 pm
It is however frustrating that Makergear doesn't seem to support hardened steel components as "official" parts.
Do the stainless ones not count as hardened?
https://www.makergear.com/collections/p ... -stainless

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:39 pm

sthone wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:29 am
jhaupt wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 pm
It is however frustrating that Makergear doesn't seem to support hardened steel components as "official" parts.
Do the stainless ones not count as hardened?
https://www.makergear.com/collections/p ... -stainless
It all depends on if they are just stainless or hardened.. Just like a knife blade, the steel needs to be hardened. But, compared to Brass, SS is freaking hard.. even if it is not "Hardened" :-)
This sight has hardened steel compatible.. but they are not stainless.. so not sure which would be harder
https://www.partsbuilt.com/nozzles/

Just bought some parts from a forum member and it included the .4 hardened nozzle from that site... I also have MG stainless .. none of which I have ever used..

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:49 pm

I've never considered stainless to be suitable proxy for hardened steels when hardness is called for, but it does of course depend on the hardening process.

My go-to hardened nozzles for Makergear printers are these: https://www.3dxtech.com/makergear-m2-he ... el-nozzle/, which should be significantly more wear resistant than 304 or 18-8 stainless (I don't know what grade the MG nozzles are), but this post got me wondering...

According to the Google, A2 hardened steel gets a Rockwell C rating of 57-62 and 304 stainless gets a Rockwell B rating of 70. The B scale ends at 100, and that's about where the C scale starts (at 22.5), so yes, A2 hardened is much harder than stainless. If you use the Vickers scale as a "go between" (it seems to extend through the full range of Rockwell B and C), it looks like A2 hardened steel is in the realm of 6 times harder than 304 stainless.

I've found that for printing carbon filled filaments one can't go hard enough. It does wear parts out quickly, and this doesn't even bring the extruder hobb into the picture. I've worn out two so far. I'm hoping MG decides to start offering those in hardened steel more so than the nozzle, because right now I don't think there's even an aftermarket source for hardened Makergear hobbs.