Layer Shift Issues

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
3dztech

Layer Shift Issues

Post by 3dztech » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Hello everybody :)

Can someone be so kind and help me resolve this issue with what seems to be random layer shifts on my prints.

>Occurs on any model/file I try to print.
>I have used multiple brands of PLA filament, issue persist (although more expensive filament reduces the overall issue, these larger layer shifts still persist)...
>I was originally using Simplify when I first starting noticing the shifting, but then tried CURA to see if issue persist, and it does.
>My print speeds are pretty low (at least I think so. 60mm/s)

ednisley

Re: Layer Shift Issues

Post by ednisley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:57 am

3dztech wrote:what seems to be random layer shifts
Those don't look like shifts due to XY motors stalling from either impacts with up-curling plastic or excessive acceleration, because the offset doesn't continue upward from the defect. For example, you'd see an inset on the -X side and an outset on the +X side, with everything above that plane building with the same offset, as though you'd sheared the model on that plane and shifted it over a few millimeters.

Check for:
  • A non-manifold model causing the slicer to produce bad G-Code
  • Insufficient / weird infill patterns + not enough perimeter threads
  • Incorrect Extrusion Multiplier for the particular filament / speed / temperature
In a situation like this, always verify the G-Code to make sure it's doing what you think it should. Use an independent viewer like http://gcode.ws/, step through the model layer by layer, and keep an eye on the infill as well as the perimeter.

Good hunting!

3dztech

Re: Layer Shift Issues

Post by 3dztech » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Thank you for the tips, good sir.

I will get to work on those tips and see what I can come back with. :)