Brims vs Rafts?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
willnewton

Re: Brims vs Rafts?

Post by willnewton » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:06 pm

you could try running the first few layers without a fan.

can you post up a screenshot or pic or the stl file so we can see what you got going on printwise?
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Gwhite

Re: Brims vs Rafts?

Post by Gwhite » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:38 pm

I ramp the fan up slowly over the first several layers. I've attached the S3D factory file of one of the many models that has given me trouble, and here is a photo of the resulting warping:
Paramount3D Warping.jpg
The two front corners have lifted significantly. There is a tiny bit of lifting at the left rear corner as well, but it's really minor compared to what happens at the front corners. Given the dramatic improvement I've seen in reducing the cooling, I'm convinced the asymmetry is largely due to the air flow from the stock fan geometry. This was with Paramount3D "iron red" filament, which is a perfect color for a lot of my projects, but warps worse than any other PLA I've played with (MakerGear, HatchBox, eSun).

Fortunately, a little distortion at the corners doesn't affect the stuff I've been doing from a functionality standpoint, but someday it's going to be a problem... After one very spectacular "air print" when a model warped enough to rise and hit the nozzle & get knocked loose, I've taken to lifting the extruder a bit during traverses to make sure I clear minor warping effects. Brims work, and would have been fine for this job, but in some instances the base of the model is intricate enough that it takes a LONG time to trim.
Lens Drill Base 1.fff
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 340 times