Z-Axis motor shutting off at beginning of prints?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
RecEcology

Z-Axis motor shutting off at beginning of prints?

Post by RecEcology » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Hello all,

Everything else seems to be in working order afaik except that the z-axis, after properly homing at the beginning of a build, drops away like the servo's shut off. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa1whH9yRVg.

Z-axis motor works fine for leveling the bed, etc. It just stops working when a print is attempted.

How can I address this?

M2 is upgraded to dual print heads, if that matters.

insta

Re: Z-Axis motor shutting off at beginning of prints?

Post by insta » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Your endstop switch is plugged in backwards. When the switch clicks, it shorts out the 5V and GND rails and the whole machine reboots.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

RecEcology

Post by RecEcology » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:07 pm

> Your endstop switch is plugged in backwards.

My goodness, could I really have been that dumb this long...? I went back and verified the z-endstop wiring, and found it can't match the kit assembly guide https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0030/ ... 7839233417. The wiring harness for it is listed as having its yellow wire to the rear. Mine has brown, orange and red wires, so it looks like I guessed the color mapping of the wires (incorrectly).

I rotated the harness 180 at the microcontroller end, re-plugged it into the Z-max socket as directed and am heating up for a trial run now. Any ideas why this one should plug into z-max when it's at the min end of the z-axis, and the other two end stops plug into the x-min and y-min sockets?

insta

Post by insta » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Yours is homing upwards, so you still want Z_MIN.

Or, yours is looking for Z_MAX but the motor is spinning backwards. It depends on how the firmware is configured -- report back once it hits the switch a second time.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

RecEcology

Post by RecEcology » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Looks like I needed to move the wiring harness from z-max to the z-min socket on the controller board. So I guess I have a different board than the one in the instructions. Those definitely say to plug into z-max. Motor is spinning the correct direction for sure. Thank you for your help!