PLA Print Detatching After ~5mm

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
SnowsongWolf

PLA Print Detatching After ~5mm

Post by SnowsongWolf » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:54 pm

This has been driving me absolutely nuts. I'm printing PLA onto Kapton tape coated bed (freshly ordered from Makergear). I have a 70C bed temp and 225C extrusion temp. Single or small pieces print just fine. When I start to add more pieces (printing spine sections for a costume tail prosthetic) they adhere just fine on the first layer but detatch later into the print. In fact trying to let the printer run over night knocked off 3 of the 4 parts, and somehow all 4 skirts (they weren't connected to each other). I still can't find 1 of the detatched parts but from the piece I have that seems the likely culprit I can see the piece grabbed onto the print head and was dragged all around the board somehow getting knocked free before dislodging the last part (which was still ruined by the filament being dragged around).

I've done the single wall calibration for width and height and I've ensured the bed is clean. The pieces that do print have just the barest of gaps in some areas on the top layer so if anything I'm ever so slightly underextruding. I'm using Simplify3D as my slicer and OctoPrint as my communication software.

I also have the print head set to retract filament and do a vertical lift when moving across parts.

What do? I've had success on Kapton before, I'm not ready to necessarily abandon it just yet.

Failed part: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rUbiaIplp2UO7ZnI2
Successful parts: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CrlmJpzqmlExQoch2

insta

Re: PLA Print Detatching After ~5mm

Post by insta » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Hit the Kapton with a Magic Eraser, print at 60C, make sure you have 0.20mm Z-hop.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Re: PLA Print Detatching After ~5mm

Post by ednisley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:08 pm

SnowsongWolf wrote:detatch later into the print
That ring thing has nowhere near enough footprint for good adhesion: add a 5 mm brim and it'll stick fine.