Extending wire harness life - wire wrap

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
zemlin

Extending wire harness life - wire wrap

Post by zemlin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Has anyone tried this stuff to temper the bending of the wire harness?
Does it hold up to the constant flexing?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (8.54 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
Also considering some thin fiberglass or music wire strands in with the wires. I tried PETG filaments, but they did not last.

ednisley

Re: Extending wire harness life - wire wrap

Post by ednisley » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 pm

zemlin wrote:Does it hold up to the constant flexing?
Nope, those corrugated tubes are intended to tidy up the wires in a fixed installation.

The braided loom around the wires from the extruder to the RAMBo (on my old M2, anyway) works better:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ble+sleeve

Adding a clamp with a flared entry to guide the flex over a few inches on each end would be just about ideal.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:19 pm

My printer has an incredibly simple strain relief for the extruder head wiring.

I tied a loose loop of flexible filament (used old Esun flex filament, harder than Ninjaflex and softer than Semiflex) over the cable bundle and anchored it to the shelf about a foot above it. The loop is situated on the cable about 8 inches behind the extruder head over the back edge of the bed and holds the cable bundle about level with the head.

The little lasso/noose has plenty of support and give to keep the bundle from drooping under its own weight, but allows easy reach to the left and right due to the stretchy filament. I keep the tension low so it just supports the cable bundle, but does not introduce a bend.

It took almost 30 whole seconds to fabricate and fit. Probably been on the machine about a year now, doing its job with no complaints.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:03 pm

zemlin wrote:Has anyone tried this stuff to temper the bending of the wire harness?
Does it hold up to the constant flexing?
Capture.JPG
Also considering some thin fiberglass or music wire strands in with the wires. I tried PETG filaments, but they did not last.
Actually, the corrugated sleeve is what my relatively new M2E came with on the harness that goes from the electronics box to the bed/Y-axis assembly. All the other cables are in the braided wrap with zip ties in strategic locations.