Z height suddenly off on M2 Rev E

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
xpandedreality

Z height suddenly off on M2 Rev E

Post by xpandedreality » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi,

my studio is running a Makergear M2 Rev E. Well built machine with good quality and speed!
I am using Simplify 3D as slicer and sometimes run from an SD card via the external LCD, and sometimes directly from Simplify via USB.

But since new the printer seem to suddenly loose the right z height so that the build plate comes maybe 0.5 mm to far from the nozzle.
I set the Z height with the stand alone z height app.
Several print jobs comes out perfect, but random (?) jobs with the same settings comes out with the z height off.
If I run the z height app again, everything workes fine for one or many

Any ideas?

Best
/Lamin

xpandedreality

Re: Z height suddenly off on M2 Rev E

Post by xpandedreality » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:51 am

Hi,

if someone has a similar problem with their M2 or M3, I did found the solution :D

After replacing the z-motor and led-screw with a new unit our M2 prints like new again :!: :idea:

I have learned to just keep the lead screw clean, and probably have to look after small plastic strains and grime after each print to remove it before it gets sucked up between the black plastic nut and the lead screw.

Best
/Lamin

Multra

Post by Multra » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 pm

I am having the same issue with my rev E. Randomly the Z axis will be off by a fair amount (enough that the next print wont stick to the bed). Re-running the leveling software will fix the issue for a random number of prints, generally 2-10.

brookstalley

Post by brookstalley » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:53 pm

I'm also seeing similar, but primarily when the printer has been sitting for a while (hours to a day). I can do a G28 then G1 X80 Y120 Z0 and the bed stops about 0.5mm - 1mm short of the nozzle. If I then do another G28 and another G1 X80 Y120 Z0, it usually goes right up to touch perfectly.

For me at least, if I actually adjusted the Z height, it would work for a print or two and then the bed would crash into the nozzle. Then I'd reset it, print some good prints, and the next day the bed would stop short again.