Can you connect to the MakerGear M3 printer with an iPad?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
asg11us

Can you connect to the MakerGear M3 printer with an iPad?

Post by asg11us » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:22 am

I have an iPad mini and would like to connect to my M3 ID printer via OctoPrint. I know it works with the OctoAndroid app using an Android tablet, but I can't seem to get the page to pull up using Safari.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

sthone

Re: Can you connect to the MakerGear M3 printer with an iPad

Post by sthone » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Assuming the MG version of octoprint is the same as the standard version you should be able to load it with a browser on any device.

I use the normal octoprint on my M2's with my computer, laptop ,kindle, and iphones and it works fine. You may need to use the IP address of the Pi though and not octopi.local.

asg11us

Post by asg11us » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:56 pm

STHONE, thanks for your help!

I was able to connect using my iPad and the actual IP address of my router, but not using the "m3printerxxrxx.local" address.

I spoke with MakerGear tech support who were very helpful, but they weren't sure why the ".local" didn't work (although I'm confident they'll figure it out).

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:36 pm

I could never get the .local to work on any of my PI/octoprint setups. I prefer the IP anyway as I have multiple printers so with the IP I know which one I'm actually working with.

jslick_007

Post by jslick_007 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:08 pm

I use Nautilus on iPad to control my 3D printers that have PI interfaces. It works well enough for me to bypass the whole web interface that tends to get too cluttered on my iPad Mini. The .local addresses work fine for me as iOS supports MDNS/Bonjour whereas Android and Windows (without Bonjour) does not, so not quite sure why you're having such troubles unless multicast addresses are disabled on your router. On Android, I use OctoAndroid (like MakerGear), but have to use actual IP address.

jk42

Post by jk42 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Andy, thanks for opening a ticket on support@makergear.com. We are looking into your specific issue. You should be hearing from us very soon

Generally speaking, if you want to connect with an ipad all you should need to do is connect via the .local address. The Bon Jour print services are part of Apples OS. If you cannot get it to work, please contact support@makergear.com and we will assist you in getting connectivity.
~Jason from MakerGear