Thermal Runaway on Heated Bed

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jslick_007

Thermal Runaway on Heated Bed

Post by jslick_007 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:16 pm

I'm getting a Thermal Runaway on the Heated Bed when I try printing at 110C on the heatbed. It'll go up to 97C without issue, but after about an hour of printing at 110C, the whole thing shuts down. The OctoPrint interface shows disconnected, but pulling up the terminal, I get "Error: Thermal Runaway, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed". Is there something I can check before sending the unit back to MakerGear? In the middle of a major customer print, so really trying to avoid having to send back if possible.

EDIT: I tried on my other MakerGear M3ID purchased around the same time, albeit from different resellers and it gets to 110C no problem, so it seems to be specific only to one of them.
Attachments
thermal runaway.JPG

insta

Re: Thermal Runaway on Heated Bed

Post by insta » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:39 pm

My suspicion is a loose plug. Make sure everything is snug.

Second suspicion is drafts. Upturn a large moving box over the printer and see if it still does it.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

ednisley

Re: Thermal Runaway on Heated Bed

Post by ednisley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:54 pm

jslick_007 wrote:"Error: Thermal Runaway, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed"
Marlin's default "runaway" hysteresis seem awfully tight at 2 C and, if the platform heater can't keep up with cool drafts. The heaters are on, but the temperature isn't tracking, so the firmware concludes the thermistor has gone bad.

That's a reasonable assumption, except when winter sets in and my Basement Laboratory cools down.

If the platform temperature graph looks erratic, then the thermistor may be going bad. If it's steady and slightly declining, then it's a cool breeze over the platform.

Bumping the runaway hysteresis to 6 C helped, as did increasing the time delay to 40 s. You must recompile the firmware to change those values, though, which may make cranking up the room thermostat look downright attractive.

Search for "runaway" to find the appropriate lines:
https://softsolder.com/2016/04/14/maker ... 1-1-0-rc5/