New fan and thermistor aren't working

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
norleck

New fan and thermistor aren't working

Post by norleck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Long story short, I scored a makergear M2 pre-2015 model with the Z motor mount broken off. I ordered a new motor mount and ran the M2 Quick Start guide. I leveled the bed and the bed heated fine. However it wasnt reading the printer head as heating up. After confirming the head was hot, I figured the thermistor was broken. I also noticed the upper fan wasn't working so I ordered a new thermistor and a new fan. I should have checked the voltage! The new fan or thermistor doesnt work. I have no voltage going to FAN 0 or HEAT 0 connection. I cant seem to find a wiring schematic to tell me where to start looking. I'm not sure what other info ya'll need from me but any help would be most appreciated!

norleck

Re: New fan and thermistor aren't working

Post by norleck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Follow up:
After checking it with the printer head heating up, I have voltage to HEAT 0 but I still can't get the thermister to read. HEAT 0 varies wildly between 9 and 14 volts. M2 Quick Start doesnt see the Heat Extruder as heating up but it is hot. Still no voltage to FAN 0.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 pm

You're not likely to get a good voltage reading at the leads, because they are switched-ground MOSFET outputs.

What is the actual thermistor reading you're getting, and which firmware did you use?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

norleck

Post by norleck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Thermistor is reading 0. Not sure about the firmware version. Where do I check that?

jk42

Post by jk42 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:19 pm

You can find your present firmware version in the connection log.
If you're unsure of which version is correct, please use the firmware selector tool at firmware.makergear.com
I would also suggest you open a ticket with us at support@makergear.com
~Jason from MakerGear

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 pm

norleck wrote:with the Z motor mount broken off
Which put a mighty yank on the cables attached to the hot end and broke the thermistor wiring.

Turn off the power, unplug both ends of the thermistor cable, and verify:
  • Connector at the thermistor is intact / undamaged
  • Continuity of each wire between that connector and the other end at the RAMBo pin header
  • RAMBo pin header is unbent / undamaged
If it looks good, then plug the thermistor into the cable, leave the RAMBo end unplugged, and verify about 100 k ohm resistance between the two pins at the RAMBo end. It should remain stable at 100 k ohm as you wiggle & jiggle the connector at the hot end and the cable braid.

I'd expect a broken wire either at the extruder connector or inside the braid at the first nylon tie securing the cable from the extruder to the frame.