Synthetic Grease vs lithium

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
airscapes

Synthetic Grease vs lithium

Post by airscapes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:19 am

Read the maintenance doc and was wondering if Synthetic grease would be ok to use rather than lithium? One brand i have in stock is Supper Lube. I did doe a quick forum search but didn't see anything applicable.
Thanks,
Doug

ednisley

Re: Synthetic Grease vs lithium

Post by ednisley » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:49 pm

airscapes wrote:wondering if Synthetic grease would be ok to use
IMO (*), 3D printers operate with sufficiently low stresses and duty cycles that any lubricant will work Just Fine. If you're running them in production, then you might need to worry, but ticking off a part a day counts as "idle" in the industrial environment the hardware was originally intended for.

With that in mind, over-lubrication and "sticky" lubes can be problems: you don't want fuzz collecting on the surfaces. Don't slobber oil all over everything and you'll be fine.

(*) Not affiliated with Makergear. No official capacity. Enlarged to show texture. Your mileage will vary. Dammit, Jim, I'm an EE, not an ME. Serving suggestion. Drink responsibly. Etc.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks Ed, that is my take on it as well. Prior to my current career in the IT industry I spent 13 years as an auto mechanic. ON these rails there is no build of heat, no high contact pressure and very tight clearances. A very low viscosity lubricant would seem to be what is needed.. White lithium is what I used to use on car door hing rollers and hood latches.. Thick sticky and a great gatherer of dirt and dust..
Hence my question. On top of all that, the machine is new from the factory and there is NO white lithium on the channels so wondering what they use?
MakerGear can you please provide the type/brand of lubricant used at the factory??

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:19 pm

The factory grease I got with my M2 looks like a white lithium grease to me.

It does collect stuff, but since it is exposed, it is very easy to clean the lead screw by pressing a paper towel against it while you zero out the Z.

Of course, no liquid oil should be used, as it can get down in to the motor.

I have some Super Lube, so I know what you are talking, but have not applied it to my M2. I don’t think it would hurt anything and would be better than nothing at all.

The white grease is nice, since it is white and easy to observe how it distributes itself on the screw when you apply/reapply it.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 pm

For the newer machines they have made a change to the Z screw.. also did not receive any lubricant.. we maybe I had better recheck the box..
Clean the X and Y linear rails, and the Z leadscrew, of grease, then apply a fresh coat to each - a dot of white lithium grease in each of the long grooves on the X and Y rails, and a dot in four consecutive troughs of the Z leadscrew; once applied, move that axis through its full travel multiple times to spread the grease. If you have one of the newer black Z motors, which has a plastic nut on the lead-screw do not apply grease. Check for and remove any built up up dust or other contaminants.

Clean and wipe the Z axis rods with 3 in 1 oil.