M2 printing off SD stops if USB port bounce

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
airscapes

M2 printing off SD stops if USB port bounce

Post by airscapes » Thu May 10, 2018 3:59 am

I was aware this happens when you plug your laptop in and the M2 is printing from SD but forgot that Windows booting without asking after an update does the same thing ruining an almost complete print.
I guess the only way to prevent this is to buy an LCD pad for the M2 and loose the USB cable? Not idea as I prefer the lamptop and S3D software rather than a little LCD panel.. Any other ways to prevent this? Yes I will be changing auto update to never reboot in the mean time.

sthone

Re: M2 printing off SD stops if USB port bounce

Post by sthone » Thu May 10, 2018 4:25 am

You can start a print from S3D using the "Print from SD Card" button then just yank the USB cord out of the computer and the print will continue to print without any possible interruptions...

or better yet get a Raspberry Pi setup and run Octoprint and free up your computer all together.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu May 10, 2018 1:16 pm

sthone wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:25 am
You can start a print from S3D using the "Print from SD Card" button then just yank the USB cord out of the computer and the print will continue to print without any possible interruptions...

or better yet get a Raspberry Pi setup and run Octoprint and free up your computer all together.
Yes the fact you can remove the USB connection after it start is good and I had read about that, HOWEVER, if you plug it back in before the print is complete, it stops printing dead in it's tracks and your print is ruined.. A fact I had not read but did learn about the hard way.. and then again a second lesson when windows updated and booted during a 3 hour print :oops:

I have not looked into the Pi setup yet but what happens if the Pi goes down.. same thing right? For those who have the LCD and or Pi/Octoprint setup, which is the best for usability and reliability of prints. Technical difficulty is of setup is not an issue (Unix admin is the day job) but fully baked is my preference for any software solution. Will google octoprint later this morning.. time to login and make a living!

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu May 10, 2018 2:39 pm

I'm not sure why you would plug it back in while it's printing :? but yeah don't do that :D

The only way a pi is going to "go down" is if you lose power and at that point your printer will too so you're SOL either way.

The Pi setup with Octoprint is probably the best and most flawless why you can run a printer... (the M3's come with them now) I've run three printers with these setups for years and have never had a problem. I'm sure I might get a corrupt SD card sooner or later because I don't shut the Pi's down correctly but that's easy enough to fix "if" it happens. It also gives you the added benefits of remotely controlling your printers and monitoring them with a camera.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu May 10, 2018 2:50 pm

airscapes wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:16 pm
which is the best for usability and reliability of prints
Well, I've been using Linux on obsolete laptops for 3D printing since late 2010 with no abrupt disconnects, no forced updates, no sudden shutdowns, and no EULA / license hassles.

As of a couple of years ago:
https://softsolder.com/2016/07/11/inspi ... ontroller/

Everything I build looks like a bracket, so I use OpenSCAD to generate solid models & STL files, Slic3r produces the G-Code, and Pronterface trickles it to the printer. All the files live on a server (a grandiose term for an obsolete Dell SFF Optiplex), eliminating the sneakernet between my Comfy Chair at the desk upstairs and the M2 in the basement.

Build the model, slice it, open the laptop screen through VNC, load the file, start the heaters, walk downstairs to make sure the M2 is ready, start the print, putter around the basement shop, keep an eye on the printer, lift the widget off the glass when it's cool, and bolt it into whatever I'm building.

No muss, no fuss. It. Just. Works. Every. Time.

Octoprint is definitely the new hotness, but an RPi + case + supply + etc costs more than an obsolete laptop and doesn't deliver more functionality (at least for my use case). In fact, the laptop is much cheaper than a cranky printer LCD and definitely works better.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu May 10, 2018 2:53 pm

The laptop was dedicated to 3d printer and decided to use it to make a new model while sitting in the living room to make the wife happy .. Finished what I was doing and put it back where I got it and plugged it in..
Last night windows reboot it..
So looks like Pi and Octoprint is next!