M2 octoprint on Pi what to buy

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
airscapes

Re: M2 octoprint on Pi what to buy

Post by airscapes » Sun May 13, 2018 12:39 am

So I have most of the parts, just waiting on the sd card which will come tomorrow and printing a case.. anyway, I am contemplating getting a cheap monitor and usb key board and mouse for local access, loading, unloading, leveling etc.. My concern is with the Printer, keyboard and mouse all being used and USB, am I looking at data flow issues to the printer just like I have now with windows?? Not as if the Pi is a P9 server..

sthone

Post by sthone » Sun May 13, 2018 5:36 am

With octoprint you can do all that from any computer, table, or even your smart phone you don't need all that extra stuff.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun May 13, 2018 2:19 pm

sthone wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:36 am
With octoprint you can do all that from any computer, table, or even your smart phone you don't need all that extra stuff.
I realize that, just have space next to the printer and I'm old.. so I like Keyboards (use one 12 hour a day) and monitors larger then 20" as my eyes are old.. I can keep using my laptop that I use now, just figured a dedicated cpu that can support a head and input devices would make walking into the room to unload filament at the end of the day after removing the last print or starting the next one a little bit simpler. (for me) :) Seems redundant to need to carry my laptop into the room with the printer to do stuff to the printer..
Still looking for advice on the ability of the Pi to run the octoprint interface locally on an HDMI attached display, with and attached useb keyboard and mouse. Will using the pi as the interface while the print is running cause the printer to stop when the pi is busy with me using the UI? I realize linux is far Superior to windows as far as process scheduling goes but there isn't a lot of processor or memory to go around..
Guess I should ask this over in the Octoprint forum.
Thanks everyone, If I get an answer over there I will update this thread for the next guy..

sthone

Post by sthone » Sun May 13, 2018 4:21 pm

airscapes wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:19 pm
Will using the pi as the interface while the print is running cause the printer to stop when the pi is busy with me using the UI?
I guess I don't understand what your trying to do... Usually the whole point of using a Pi and Octoprint is to free up a main computer and just have a reliable system feeding the g-code to the printer. Once the print is started you shouldn't have to be doing anything in the Octoprint UI except maybe monitoring the print. As for your goal of being able to control feeding filament and starting prints right at the printer without carrying your laptop around (if you don't have a tablet or phone) you could add a touch screen to the PI and get the TouchUi plugin from Octoprint.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun May 13, 2018 5:51 pm

sthone wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:21 pm
airscapes wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:19 pm
Will using the pi as the interface while the print is running cause the printer to stop when the pi is busy with me using the UI?
I guess I don't understand what your trying to do... Usually the whole point of using a Pi and Octoprint is to free up a main computer and just have a reliable system feeding the g-code to the printer. Once the print is started you shouldn't have to be doing anything in the Octoprint UI except maybe monitoring the print. As for your goal of being able to control feeding filament and starting prints right at the printer without carrying your laptop around (if you don't have a tablet or phone) you could add a touch screen to the PI and get the TouchUi plugin from Octoprint.
I want a stable way to send gcode without swapping out the sd card, Yes. I want to be able to walk up to my printer and do everything I can do now with the laptop plugged into the USB port of the printer.. I don't want to use a phone or tablet, I had read a post about loading the Pi using a monitor or TV via HDMI and usb keyboard and mouse..
That is what led me to, why not use a monitor mouse and key board on the PI for local access (standing in front of the printer)
True once print starts should not need to access the UI locally as you said other than to cancel..
Will just give it a try and see how it all shakes out.. still printing enclosure.. first one was a bit over kill found a nice one that seems to do what is needed.. keep the back of the board insulated and let as much air in as possible without using a fan.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2896278 However it won't fit the B+ as there is an additional 4 pins that must not exist on the older model .
casedontfit.jpg

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sun May 13, 2018 7:11 pm

airscapes wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:51 pm
why not use a monitor mouse and key board on the PI for local access

This is the part I don't understand about gearing up an OctoPi (or any Pi, for that matter).

By the time you wire a Pi (*) to a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and power supply, then print a case and arrange everything, you've built a really clumsy and fairly expensive low-end laptop.

Why not take the "dedicated laptop" you said you already own, apply your Unix skillz, install a Linux distro as a dual-boot option, lash it to your WiFi network, install Pronterface, stream G-Code perfectly, and be done with it?

Zero dollars, compact hardware, easy configuration, decent UI, purpose-built software, and solves all the problems you say you have. What's not to like?

I've done my share of yak shaving, too, but ... there's no need to make it harder than necessary.

(*) At last count, I have half a dozen around the house, streaming Internet radio, running an APRS iGate, and controlling an MPCNC router, so it's not as though I dislike the things.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Well I had asked about the USB connection to the laptop killing prints when dropped and the printer stopping when the windows was busy.. Pi and octoprint was said to be the bees knees good to go no issues. :D

So far with the webcam I into it for $90, I have the monitor and keyboard/mouse so will give it a go.

If this turns out to be a waste of time and the laptop is better, I will turn the pi into a webserver to replace the IBM R50 that crashes every so often..

Pi booted right up and running through the config wizard for octoprint.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed May 16, 2018 1:35 am

Almost perfect, got webcam hacked so I can focus it.. but can I put it inside my enclosure .. guess it will survive the heat if I print abs? gets over 100F where I will have it mounted.. any horror stories? I can put it out side but the plexi glass really sucks..

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri May 18, 2018 12:12 am

Go the webcam configured to have a half decent picture. Had to install uvcdynctrl and turn off my LED spotlight as they were too bright.. maybe try an ND filter with the lights so I can see what is going on when standing there.
Timelaps http://misc.airscapesart.com/timelap/orc_claw.mpg

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri May 18, 2018 2:37 pm

airscapes wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:35 am
Almost perfect, got webcam hacked so I can focus it.. but can I put it inside my enclosure .. guess it will survive the heat if I print abs? gets over 100F where I will have it mounted.. any horror stories? I can put it out side but the plexi glass really sucks..
I'd be careful... I use cheap Logitech C270's and the one I ran inside an enclosure one time pretty much stopped working. It could be coincidence but I wouldn't try it with any camera that was expensive that's for sure.