Layer Shifting on M3 ID

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
chrlsjnck

Layer Shifting on M3 ID

Post by chrlsjnck » Fri May 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello All,

I've been using my M3 ID for a few months now. It's my first 3D printer and I love it!

I recently have had some layer shifting that I'm not sure how to fix. I believe I have some slipping, but I'm not sure where. It looks like it is in the Y axis.

Below are some pictures. One is more drastic than the other. After the piece on the wood I put oil on the rails and decreased the speed from 3500mm/min to 2500mm/min. The fact that I have very little shifting after lowering the speed leads me to believe that something is slipping.

Here is what I have done so far:
  • Lowered Speed (helped somewhat)
  • Checked G Code file with simulator to verify the part isn't confusing the slicer
  • Checked set screws. They seemed pretty tight, and they are still catching the recessed section of the shaft
  • Changed settings such as extrusion multiplier and layer height. I was thinking they might have caused the nozzle to drag too much. It did not have an effect on the shifting.
I have seen mention of using "Z Hop". I will try this when I get home this evening, but I think the shifting is so sever in some cases that it's too much to be caused by nozzle drag.

Thanks for any advice.

insta

Re: Layer Shifting on M3 ID

Post by insta » Fri May 18, 2018 3:45 pm

That's definitely nozzle drag. Z-Hop / Vertical lift will fix it. You only need 0.20mm
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

chrlsjnck

Re: Layer Shifting on M3 ID

Post by chrlsjnck » Fri May 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Thanks Insta, I will try it later today.

I've been using this printer for a few months, and this is the first time this has been an issue. Is there anything you can think that would have changed that I now need to use vertical lift?