Help! Printer will not fully power on!

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Rhragnarok

Help! Printer will not fully power on!

Post by Rhragnarok » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:32 am

So the exteuder fan went out the other night. I was rotating it to look at the extruder and the wires to it just snapped.

I attempted to solder them back on tonight. Plugged in the resoldered fan and now when the printer is powered on it sounds different. The fan on the motherboard will not start up. And I am unable to connect to the printer.

I didn't test starting it up without the extruder fan connected first so I am not sure if its not coming on because it won't without the fan connected and I didnt get it soldered properly? Or if I shorted something somehow when I plugged it in?

Then to add to the confusion we had 3 power surges/outages tonight while the printer was off. Plugged in, but off.

What could cause the motherboard to not respond anymore? And is there some way to reset it or something?

Please help me trouble shoot this! I have a ticket in with Makergear but they are taking forever to respond these days. And since it's Friday night they won't respond til Monday at best.

ednisley

Re: Help! Printer will not fully power on!

Post by ednisley » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Rhragnarok wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:32 am
I attempted to solder them back on tonight.
If you soldered the connections backwards, then the fan will appear as something like a short circuit to its power supply.
The fan on the motherboard will not start up.
This suggests the M2 has a 24 V power supply with a pair of 12 V fans connected in series. With one fan wired backwards, the other fan gets far more voltage than it should and the combination will draw far too much current. The RAMBo has a protective fuse to handle that situation.

At this point, you may have two dead fans and a blown fuse.
I have a ticket in with Makergear but they are taking forever to respond these days
As the MG tech support page says: "During business hours, we typically respond within 2-3 hours. It can, however, take up to 48 hours to receive a response. Weekend support requests are typically handled on Monday morning."

They're a small company and, unless I miss my guess, tech support may consist of two people who busy solving other customer problems in the manner you'd like to have them solve yours ...

jk42

Re: Help! Printer will not fully power on!

Post by jk42 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Rhagnarok- I did a search with your email address and no tickets were open. Did you use a different email than the one for the forum?
We certainly do not ever want our customers to have to wait that long for a response. Having said that, sometimes our responses get sent
to spam and occasionally they disappear from our system. If you still have not gotten a response, please reply on the same ticket or call
us so we can get you the support that you need.
~Jason from MakerGear