M2 X/Y carriage buzzing sound

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
rsheldiii

M2 X/Y carriage buzzing sound

Post by rsheldiii » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Hey everyone,
I've been talking on and off with tech support at Makergear about this, but I was wondering if anyone on the forums has had a similar experience. For a while now, my M2 has been making a buzzing sound during certain movements, and it's driving me nuts. Here's a video of the sound:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Om0uOq ... sp=sharing

What I've narrowed down so far:

1. It's not the extruder; disconencting the extruder and running a print still causes the sound
2. It no longer happens with the belts disconnected
3. It still happens with dampers installed, and I even swapped out the motors for some new ones, so it's definitely not the motors themselves
4. Slower speeds can cause it to be louder, and movements in both the x and y directions cause it to happen the most

Has anyone had this happen before? I've lubed everything, and tightened everything I can get my hands on without disassembling the bed. It sure sounds like a loose screw but if it is I have no idea which one, the only ones I haven't tightened that I know about are the small m2's under the bed carriage, but they don't wiggle when I touch them.

airscapes

Re: M2 X/Y carriage buzzing sound

Post by airscapes » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:47 pm

I spent months with a similar noise that occurred during slow circles and moves!
I needed to remove the belt, build plate and heater to tighten all 4 screws that hold the belt bracket to the spider which were slightly loose.
My stepper was vibrating at low speed (doing circles) and the belt transmits this to the bracket which vibrated sounding like a loose ball in the carrier bearing.. Hope that is your issues, it sounds a little different. In my case if I stuck my head under the bed when it was acting up you could hear it coming from the center of the spider..
Let us know what you find!

BTW I also had a bad bearing on the X axis which made a different noise but once replaced is nice and quiet again.

rsheldiii

Re: M2 X/Y carriage buzzing sound

Post by rsheldiii » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:06 am

hilariously, I have found the buzzing sound. The binder clips I was using have metal inserts (like most binder clips) that were creating the buzz during certain movements. It was incredibly bad during a slow moving print and I happened to grab one while it was going, I didn't even think that would be the cause.

I still have a few creaks and groans during slow movements now, but nothing nearly as alarming as the buzzing sound. Glad to leave this out here, hopefully it'll help any other unfortunate souls with the same issue