new "used" M2 Rev E question

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
makeal

new "used" M2 Rev E question

Post by makeal » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:39 pm

hello
I recently got M2 RevE printer. Gave it a good cleaning used 3 in 1 oil to lubricate X and Y rails and smooth rods. I haven't printed on it yet. It seems to be in good overall condition but i do have a question about the glass and tape.

Does this look usable or should I replace it? If it needs replacing, should I just get 8x10 sheet of tape or entire glass part?
Screenshot 2018-09-02 18.37.08.png

Here is a picture of the "new" printer. I'm switching from anycubic i3 mega so this should be a step up.
Screenshot 2018-09-02 18.38.47.png

airscapes

Re: new "used" M2 Rev E question

Post by airscapes » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:51 am

That is usable for now but will need to be replaced.
When I bought mine it came with a roll of 2" tape and I went and bought an extra roll. In hind sight, I should have gotten the big roll that covers in one piece.

That said, the process is a bit of an art. There is a post on here someplace of a jig a member made to hold the spool of tape and allow you to work it on with a bit more control. I copied that for the 2" tape roll. There is also a video showing you how to spray the glass with soapy water and then use a credit card to work the water out from under the taoe
It sounds like a real pain but It only takes about 20 minutes to redo the glass once you get the hang of it, maybe less if you not OCD like me.
I would suggest you buy a second plate with the tape already on it so you have one ready to go, as that is what I did. Once that one get messed up you will the previous one waiting. The below picture is the standby plate I just recently re-taped and will be using soon as the one on there is getting ratty.
Google "applying kapton tape" for more info
Tape Jig.jpg

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:04 am

I bought 3 extra plates before working up my nerve to use the 2 inch tape. Instead of soapy water I used Windex. The process is as airscape notes, a bit messy, but I've been printing on the tape plate with PETG and Elmers Super Gluestick and it's worked well for the things I print - not a lot of surface to stick to the plate.

makeal

Post by makeal » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:06 am

Thank you

jprochnow

Post by jprochnow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:37 pm

I have a big roll if tape I was thinking of selling if someone is interested. Only a couple of plates covered with it.