First Layer WAY too high

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
AndyPost

First Layer WAY too high

Post by AndyPost » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Hey Thrill Seekers,
I think I have a faulty installation and hope someone can give me guidance as to what I did wrong. M2 with V4 hot end. All was going well, found an OLD laptop to use so I did a reinstall on that. Got bed level, simplify 3d is connected, I can jog and all that. But the first layer is about 3mm above the bed.

I ran a cable over to my other computer, changing nothing else and it works as expected. So...I almost have to have installed something wrong. The only thing I can think of that I KNOW is different is that I used the most up to date QuickStart software from MakerGear.

What should I look for and where should I look?

Share your thoughts,

AndyPost

Re: First Layer WAY too high

Post by AndyPost » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Oh...wait. The first print DID work as expected, up to a point. I went to check on it and the machine had stopped running. I suspected that I'd had a brief power failure and may have lost connection, but the notebook was still connected, but I could not react with the machine in any way, even though it said it still had a connection.

And I noticed a build up of filament around and about 2mm up the sides of the nozzle like it had been moving in X and Y and extruding but not moving in Z. Restarted all and this problem started. Re-leveled the bed for no improvement.

Thoughts?