Please help me figure out what is wrong with my printer

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Valli

Please help me figure out what is wrong with my printer

Post by Valli » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:50 pm

I have been using my M2 for almost a year now (my father previously used it for 3 years before handing it to me when he got a resin printer). My prints were great until around Oct of last year. Now I don't know what is going on. I have been printing the same files that used to print great. The quality has gone down a lot. I get a lot of stringy layers on overhangs that fall like spaghetti and I can pull those layers apart. I can fix it with lots of sanding on the items I usually print, but I'd rather not. I decided to print out the Benchy boat to try to figure out the problem. Here is how it printed (hopefully you can see the pictures):

At first I thought it was the change in temperature making the room temperature colder (used to print in a 90+ degree room, now at about 67 degrees), but now I don't think that is it. Then I thought humidity, but I opened a fresh filament roll and printed as soon as I got it hooked up and I had the same issues. Then I thought maybe it was settings in Simplify3D, which I changed and had no significant changes in the print. I have been printing with the same PLA matieral, same company and color and have gone through 2.5 rolls since this happened (I print very small items most of the time). I did find out my extruder fan had not been running for a while, no idea when that went out. I ordered a new one and put it on Friday, now printing is loud again (fan noise that I apparently totally forgot about), but no change in quality. Then I noticed my electronics fan was out, again, no clue how long it has been like that either. I ordered that today, but I don't think that will change my print quality.

I can print boxes great. I can print things without overhangs great. But it is the overhangs that used to print good are no longer printing good, even with supports. The items I print and sell used to print good without supports, now even with supports they have a hard time.

Printer: Makergear M2 (purchased in 2015)
Software: Simplify3D (I did not do the recent version upgrade)
Filament: Hatchbox 1.75 Grey (only one I've ever printed with)
Print Temp: 215 (70 bed)
Print Time: About 4 to 5 hours a day M-F

I have looked all over the internet and the Makergear forums to try to fix this problem, but no luck. I am finally reaching out on here to see if anyone can help me. Thanks.

Mach

Re: Please help me figure out what is wrong with my printer

Post by Mach » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Which version of Simplify 3D are you using? I had a problem with stringing on 4 and problems went away when I reverted to 3.

Valli

Post by Valli » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm using version 4.0.0. It is the only version I've ever used.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 pm

I know there are difference between 400 and 401 which I use.. so this may not be your problem.. but did you by change change Outline Direction from Inside-Out to Outside-in?
If set to Outside-in it would try and print the outside layer of the over hang first in mid air.. Inside-out would print from the boat wall out to the edge..

Valli

Post by Valli » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 am

I just checked. It is set to Inside-Out.