Hotend Failures

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
KaiborgStudios

Hotend Failures

Post by KaiborgStudios » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello!

I've been running my pair of M2 rE's for my business for a couple of years now, and have a had a repeated issue without my hotends progressively breaking.

The always begin my the aluminum block rotating freely from the center rod. This causes heating issues, and it only solved by really tightening the nozzle. Eventually the hotend breaks at the top stem.

In the Makergear manual it's recommended to remove the hotend and grip both the aluminum piece and nozzle to tighten to prevent the stem from bending or breaking. This of course will not work because of the center spinning freely, and I'm unable to tighten it and achieve proper heat transfer.

I'm now on my 4th hotend having a loose aluminum body. The first three the stems have snapped, and the 4th is now leaking filament around the nozzle despite being tightened completely.

How can I prevent the aluminum body from free spinning? At $85 a piece, replacing a fifth hotend is beginning to get very expensive.

Thanks!
Cameron
Attachments
20191115_072655.jpg
20191115_072616.jpg

airscapes

Re: Hotend Failures

Post by airscapes » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:39 pm

It a bit late but if you have a hot end for each nozzle size and just change the hot end, it is much simpler. NO leaks not broken hot ends. Utilizing eSun cleaning filament with every filament type change removes all requirements of taking the nozzle off the hot end. Not real helpful now but I have not removed a nozzle in almost 2 years and never had a hot end issue, other than one thermister wire failure.
Hope that helps..

sthone

Post by sthone » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:11 pm

I don't know why the barrel would be spinning in the block but just so you know you can just buy new barrels (the snapped part) ... you don't need new hot ends every time. Just drop MG a email and tell them you need just the barrels.

-Steve

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:07 pm

sthone wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:11 pm
I don't know why the barrel would be spinning in the block but just so you know you can just buy new barrels (the snapped part) ... you don't need new hot ends every time. Just drop MG a email and tell them you need just the barrels.

-Steve
I had no idea! How exactly do you remove/install the new barrel?

Thanks!

Cameron

KaiborgStudios

Post by KaiborgStudios » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:17 pm

Video of the aluminum body spinning.

https://youtu.be/1f1Z5LKoXeQ