Remap extruder pins

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jferguson

Remap extruder pins

Post by jferguson » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Through one of my usual careless acts, i fried the circuit feeding the extruder stepper.

I see the board on my M2E has two stepper ports E0 and E1. It looks like the thing to do is to switch the pins in pins.h, recompile, and write the new firmware to the board.

I would then plug the extruder into the other jack on the board.

Anything else?

sthone

Re: Remap extruder pins

Post by sthone » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:13 pm

I'm no expert but I think if you plug it into the other port you just need to tell your slicer to use tool 2 instead of tool 1 from now on. I wouldn't think you need to rewrite the firmware.

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:06 pm

Slick idea, I'll try it.
thanks
john

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:04 am

Hi sthone,
I've thought some more about this and think I'm stuck with the code change if i want to be able to run the extruder from the LCD box. As it is, I only need to make one change in pins.h, where I switch E0 and E1 in the section which applies to the M2.

Of course statements like the above are frequently preludes to the the education I'll suffer discovering it isn't all that simple, but if it isn't it should be.

best regards,

john

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:46 pm

Ignore what I've written above. turns out that the extruder motor won't turn if the hot end isn't at least 180C. this could be my problem.
more to follow.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:45 pm

My wife refers to this process as "being confused at a higher level, and about more important things..."

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi Gwhite.
My Dad,the EE, was good at this. In 1950 +/- we were returning from our Sunday picnic at the AutoClub on the Minnesota River near Shakopee. Our new White Chevy Convertible coasted slowly to a stop well out in the country (it was country then). For some reason Dad knew exactly what the problem was, he'd heard that this model was susceptible to incorrect carburetor assembly and he'd bought a kit to rebuild it.

So he set about to rebuild the carburetor by the side of the road on a car that was actually out of gas.

I think I inherited this approach. Occam doesn't live here anymore.