command to send bed to print first layer

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Katwitch

command to send bed to print first layer

Post by Katwitch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:11 pm

I’d like to slightly adjust the nozzle heights on my M2 Dual with 4 level screws. What gcode command can I use to send the bed to a “starting point” for printing? This happens in the bed leveling tool when I click “check bed height.” I don’t want to go through the entire bed leveling though. Just want to adjust nozzles while the bed stays in place.

airscapes

Re: command to send bed to print first layer

Post by airscapes » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:05 am

I gave up on the app after a couple weeks and asked support for the process of altering the Z height within the firmware. This is the info they sent me, I have been doing this so long It is just second nature but I still had this in some notes.
When you get to step 3 make sure you copy all data returned from 503 and save it for future reference.

How to alter your Z-offset with the M2 Rev. E:
You can fine tune the bed height without the QuickStart App. It involves sending gcode commands to your printer which can be done in the QuickStart App, PronterFace, or the Machine Control Panel in Simplify3D.

1. Reset your printer so that you are only saving the changed Z-offset to your Rambo board. Navigate to whatever communication platform you choose. And connect to your printer.

2. It may start updating with temperatures every few seconds. It is best to shut this off. (For example, in the Machine Control Panel of S3D press the “Verbose” radio button.)

3. Next, send a “M503” command. This will display your printers settings stored in EEPROM.

4. Look for an M206 in the communication window, these are your offsets for every axis. Then find what value is set for Z. It should be something around 10 to 14 (the unit is millimeters).

5. If you make this value larger your bed will start closer and if you make it smaller your bed will start further away.
Opposite of what you think, bigger = closer smaller = farther away
6. Enter a new z-offset with “M206 Zxxx” (replace xxx with whatever number you want).

7. Send a “M500” to save the Z-offset to your printer.

8. The new offset will only be used after you home the Z-axis. this can be accomplished by printing something (most gcode has a homing command at the beginning) or manually sending a “G28 Z”.

You should be very careful when bringing the bed closer to the nozzle. If it goes to far you could damage your hotend or break the glass.

Notes:
Default other settings
Send: M503
Change Z:
Send M206 Zxx.xx
Save new changes
Send M500
Verify changes
Send M503 and check line starting with 206

To send the nozzle to center of bed at starting height
send G28
send G1 F1000 X100 Y125 Z0

Katwitch

Post by Katwitch » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:28 am

Thanks. I may not have asked the question correctly. I don't want to change the height settings in the printer. I want to adjust the nozzle on one of the extruders by loosening the nozzle screw. Is there a way to send the bed to start and have it stay there? I know I can tape the knob but that's not very precise and it doesn't show the true starting point with a spider / 4 screw leveled bed, which doesn't have the stop.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:43 am

Take this with a grain of salt as I don't understand what you mean about the spider .. and stops etc
From what I read after a quick google
the below should move T0 extruder to home and then center of build plate at 0 (starting height) where you can mechanical adjust your starting height with a feller guage.

Send T0
send G28
send G1 F1000 X100 Y125 Z0